VMware Communities
c_rolfe
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 5.5.2 on OpenSuSE 10.2Beta 2 - VFS error

Hi I have just installed Workstation 5.5.2 on an upgraded system running OpenSuSE 10.2.

I store my Virtual machines on a separate partition using a ext3 filesystem.

If I try to open a VM that I previously created I get a VFS error "The Folder could not be displayed - VFS error: Invalid parameters"

However, I can create new images on the same partition

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
c_rolfe
Contributor
Contributor

More Information

If I run vmware from a terminal and attempt to open an existing VM I get the following error

(vmware:19396): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module `/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so' (/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6))

(vmware:19396): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module `/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so' (/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6))

(vmware:19396): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to open session DBUS connection: Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

Volume monitoring will not work.

process 19396: arguments to dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3168.

This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.

D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace

I have tried 5.5.3 as well, same issue.

Chris

0 Kudos
philipl
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There's a couple of different things going on here.

1) The warnings with respect to libfile.so are unavoidable due to a C++ abi mismatch. That's never going to change for 5.5

2) The dbus failing to open session thing suggests you're running workstation as a suer other than the logged in desktop user. Is that the case?

0 Kudos
c_rolfe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Philipl

On point 2 yes you are correct I was running as a suer, and running under a user I don't get the dbus error.

So I guess I need to what for and new version of workstation 5.6 or 6.0 to resolve the problem.

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
activewire
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a workaround for Workstation 5.5.3 on OpenSUSE10.2:

cd /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0

mv libpng12.so.0 libpng12.so.0.old

ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 libpng12.so.0

cd /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old

ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

0 Kudos
jaredj
Contributor
Contributor

On my OpenSuse 10.2 Gold release I found that the file structure was a bit different than you said.

1) Rename libpng12.so.0 in /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0

relink libpng12.so.0

2) ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0

while in the /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0 directory

fix libgcc

3) Rename libgcc_s.so.1 in /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

relink libgcc_s.so.1

4) ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

while in the /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 directory

Hope that helps.

Jared

0 Kudos
VashTheStampeed
Contributor
Contributor

It helped me perfectly.

Thx jaredi

0 Kudos
c_rolfe
Contributor
Contributor

Great,

This worked for me as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
riaronson
Contributor
Contributor

This same fix applied for me on the release version of OpenSuSE 10.2 on 5.5.3 build-34685 in case anyone needs to know.

0 Kudos
jimaman
Contributor
Contributor

This procedure definitely works, but I had some difficulty interpreting the parts. Some less-Linux-adept folks might benefit from a straightforward listing of the steps. Hence...

Perform the following steps as root:

cd /usr/lib/vmware/lib

mv libpng12.so.0 libpng12.so.0.old

ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0

mv libgcc_s.so.1 libgcc_s.so.1.old

ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

This was done on openSUSE 10.2 (non-beta, full release) running VMware 5.5.3 build-34685.

0 Kudos
azirbes
Contributor
Contributor

my VMware has recently ceased to work. I re-linked libpng12.so.0, and libgcc_s.so.1 to no avail. The volume of the error I receive when launching vmware has shrunk, but the software still fails to load. Here is the message I recieve:

process 24251: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb6a20410 user data 0x87f8f58, but no such filter has been added

process 24262: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb6db6410 user data 0x87fbff8, but no such filter has been added

kernel: 2.6.18.2

rpm:

VMwareWorkstation-5.5.3-34685

libpng-1.2.12-23

libgcc41-4.1.2_20061115-5

Xen 3.0.3 works... hmm....

0 Kudos
azirbes
Contributor
Contributor

... rolling back to VMwareWorkstation 5.5.2 works. I think I'll avoid 5.5.3 until there's a newer version.

0 Kudos
falafeldiaper
Contributor
Contributor

This worked perfectly - OpenSuSE 10.2, VMWARE 5.5.3 34685

0 Kudos
jlong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When is this going to be resolved? Or what is causing this? The solution worked on 2 of my installations on opensuse 10.2 and vmware server 1.0.3 build-44356

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
Hooker
Contributor
Contributor

The process described above worked for me as well even on VMware Server Console 1.0.3.

No Workstation installed.

0 Kudos