VMware Communities
Craxxer
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 17 on with Win11 vmrun start don´t work????

Today i upgraded VM Ware Workstation on Win11 PC from 15 to 17. After that in guest i upgrade win10 to win11. All works fine.

But something in vmrun.exe is changed so following command didn´t work anymore???

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" start "C:\VirtualMachines\Buchhaltung\Buchhaltung.vmx"

Error: The operation is not supported

The old command for stop vm is working.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" stop "C:\VirtualMachines\Buchhaltung\Buchhaltung.vmx"

So how can i start a vm in a batch in vers.17 ????

Thanks for solutions 🙂

Craxx

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kerkanr
Contributor
Contributor

The below is working fine for me on Windows 11

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" start "D:\Utilities\VMs\Windows 11\VWindows 11.vmx" nogui

This cmd is located in the startup folder of host and it will launch the VM at windows boot with no gui.

To get to the gui, I run the below [second] cmd.

@if (@CodeSection == @batch) @then
@Echo off
SET SendKeys=CScript //nologo //E:JScript "%~F0"
Start "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" "D:\Utilities\VMs\Windows 11\VWindows 11.vmx"
TIMEOUT /t 3
%SendKeys% "%USERNAME%"
%SendKeys% "^+{ENTER}"
GOTO :EOF

@end
// JScript section
var WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
WshShell.SendKeys(WScript.Arguments(0));0

This second cmd runs the vm with gui and also send automatic keystrokes after a delay of 3 seconds [so that workstation is launched in these three seconds] to toggle the vm to fullscreen mode. The net effect is at windows boot, the vm starts with no gui. When I click on the second cmd, the vm launches in fullscreen mode which is neat.

Try deleting your shortcuts and remaking fresh new ones.

Tags (1)