VMware Communities
rakotomandimby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 17 on Linux host: System freeze on host network events

Running Workstation 17.5 on Archlinux (yes I know it not on the list of supported host OSes), that has close to the latest Linux version, I noticed that starting 6.5 kernel versions (as of writing this, 6.7 is packaged out), when something happen in the host network interface (example: DHCP renew, switch from Wi-Fi to Ethernet,...) the whole system (host and guests) freezes.

I rolled back to a 6.1 kernel, there were no freezes.

Note that for the above, I compiled tha the stock VMware modules with the VMware buit-in script:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

I had to stay with 6.1 untill Michal Kubeček released a patch that noticed several unclean code.

So, after using Michal's patched modules on Workstation 17 Linux 6.7 host, I dont encounter any freezes anymore.

This is posted here for archives and in the hope a @VMware staff sees it and forward to the right team.

Cc @banackm , @DhairyaT

1 Reply
mikeyjoel
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same issue. Usually use KVM but needed to access some esxi servers and when checking logs found out that vmnet/vmmon were to blame.

OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed x86_64  Kernel: 6.7.2-1-default

git clone -b workstation-17.5.0 https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git

cd vmware-host-modules-workstation-17.0.0

make

make install

Furthermore, if you are having 3D acceleration issues, make sure that you edit the ~/.vmware/preferences file by appending the following:

mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers= "TRUE"

0 Kudos