VMware Communities
kCentre
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 17 Pro Autostart Service on Linux host

Hello,

I have checked out release note and documentation manual but couldn't find "VMware Autostart Service" on linux hosts.

In manual (page 94) there's "Enable Auto Start for Local Virtual Machine on Windows Host" which indicates that's not available or doesn't exist on linux hosts.

I figured out version 17.0.0 build 20800274 on Ubuntu 22.04 host but library doesn't show "Configure VM Power Actions". 

Please Advice.

7 Replies
Tannert
Contributor
Contributor

Sitting in the same boat now and I'm kinda disappointed since the update panel clearly said there will be such a feature:

Tannert_0-1669626152966.png

After upgrading I have absolutely no clue where I could find such feature.
From what I've gathered there should be an entry in the files menu:

Tannert_2-1669626396188.png

As you can see, there is nothing indicating such feature.
The biggest issue I have now is, after upgrading from an older 16.1 version which still had the shared vm feature, I'm left with "nothing" and need to start the machines via a cron job to have them running after I reboot the host.

This is beyond acceptable and this issue needs to be fixed asap since this feature was one of the main reasons we paid for the upgrade.

kCentre
Contributor
Contributor

hmm I see, It's really strange that huge vmware software and applications on continuous updates and yet, so tiny essential matter becomes an issue.

Last year, I rolled back to v15 cause I couldn't find it in v16 even though it is here in community somewhere such announcement about it is possible to enable shared vm feature in v16 but never know how?!

I don't know why they call it FEATURE! while it is ABC concern.

0 Kudos
Tannert
Contributor
Contributor

They removed the feature in the first v16 versions but received a huge backlash and decided to re-implement it for a few updates.
As far as I remember 16.1.2 was the last version with sharing enabled. After that it was completely gone.

Reverting back to 16.1.2 will bring that feature back, if you do not update vmware at all, ofc.

0 Kudos
kCentre
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I got it now, I didn't continue with v16, I still on v15.

even that window at your side regarding downloading updates doesn't show at my side for the same v17 version.

hmm, I think it is the time to go back to KVM for the sake of stability.

What do you think? please share suggestions on alternatives, Thanks

0 Kudos
Tannert
Contributor
Contributor

Got a response from the support today:

Hello ***,

Thank you for contacting VMware Desktop Services.

My name is *** from Technical Support and I will be assisting you on this case.

Further to the email description, we understand that the autostart feature is missing from Workstation 17 Linux host

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and we have checked the documentation where in the autostart feature is only availabe for Windows host.

Kindly let me know if you have any further concerns regarding the issue. Based on your response, we will proceed with this case.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

I probably don't need to say I'm not happy with the answer, since the update notification did not indicate at all that it will be a windows only feature and I still have to pay the full price but getting less in the end.

kCentre
Contributor
Contributor

hmm, That's not an answer; that's stating the plain fact of the current situation, which is;

Sorry, we gave you incomplete work, hope you bear with us till we finish it, with special thanks for reminding us; otherwise we will never remember; hmm why not take Windows for a ride and come back later?! .

I was expecting that, cause I found no systemd service related to vm-autostart as compared with v15 files and hence, we have to wait for the next release or maybe v27!

It's really annoying to keep avoid to regret upgrading and go after every release to examine first, which version can work with which kernel and if so, what's available with that version and what's missing?!

b3hr3ns
Contributor
Contributor

I remember 15 having it, 16 did not. Now I've upgraded to 17 (17.5.0) and in windows, I see it, but ubuntu, I do NOT.  Having upgraded just for this feature and not finding it, I feel that my money going towards vmware just isn't worth it anymore for this kinda crap.  I upgraded for less because of the existing license and a black Friday sale, glad I didn't give them any more!  While they still have great software, this lack of features across platforms is astounding, and I hope they come out with a patch soon!  vmwareversions.png

a4f00534-6ea9-40ad-9f88-888baa76a03d.png

0 Kudos