VMware Communities
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 16 window icons

What's up with the window icons (minimize, maximize, close) of Workstation 16 (on Windows 10)? On Workstation 15 they were fine, on 16 the entire title bar seems weirdly tiny.

It'd be nice if the icons were of standard size.

20 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Olaf_van_der_Sp 

Perhaps a screenshot of what you're seeing would help others understand what you mean?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Olaf_van_der_Sp_2-1611748680521.png

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt Hi Scott, 

Does the screenshot provide clarity?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Olaf_van_der_Sp 

Yes, hopefully others who use Workstation on Windows regularly can advise if this is abnormal along with any suggestions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
steppres
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that is "normal" for Workstation 16. The application title bar under Windows is almost entirely broken with the minimize, maximize and close buttons switching between what you show in your screenshot, and more Windows Vista-esque longer style buttons (see attachment). The title bar buttons also have very broken hover states; hovering over a button then moving the mouse cursor outside of the application causes the button to become "stuck" in the hovered state. Hopefully VMware will rectify this with the 16.2 release and go back to using the standard (and much more functional) Windows API UI controls.

0 Kudos
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been annoyed by the nonstandard, changing sizes of the title bar. There is also the matter of the rounded corners. I know windows is now thinking about adding rounded edges to make it seem 'less harsh' and assumed this was a way for Workstation to test their own iteration before it became standard. I don't like it but it only shows when the windows isn't maximized so that's less of an issue for me.

MORE annoying is way the title bar remains 'white' when it has focus. Unlike normal programs the title bar doesn't reflect my color options when it is focused. See the attached example with Explorer in focus above Workstation 16 on the top where the title bar is darker. Then on the bottom Workstation 16 is focused and remains white along with Explorer which no longer has focus. I keep finding myself moving the mouse around and re-clicking into the same window to ensure I am actually in the VM as it's not switching colors to show that it is active.

gary_niger
Contributor
Contributor

> MORE annoying is way the title bar remains 'white' when it has focus. Unlike normal programs the title bar doesn't reflect my color options when it is focused. See the attached example with Explorer in focus above Workstation 16 on the top where the title bar is darker. Then on the bottom Workstation 16 is focused and remains white along with Explorer which no longer has focus. I keep finding myself moving the mouse around and re-clicking into the same window to ensure I am actually in the VM as it's not switching colors to show that it is active.

OMG, this.

Registered just to say that I absolutely hate this. Not only is the color wrong, the size is wrong too (its too short), and its been what like a year since WS16 release and it STILL hasn't been fixed. Wake up, VMWare!!

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the size is wrong too (its too short),

Wasn't this fixed in 16.2?

0 Kudos
gary_niger
Contributor
Contributor

Wasn't this fixed in 16.2?

Oh hey, so it is. It properly reflects the system highlight color, too. I don't usually upgrade (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but this was worthwhile. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I can tell you is that my machine does to have this behavior at all.  My title bar, minimize and maximize buttons are all a consistent size.  Your screenshot shows them all smaller than Windows Explorer.  This could be a difference in settings that we have that is forcing this.  This does look abnormal to me.

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version are you running?

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Workstation 16.2.0 build-18760230

Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1256)

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I wrote before it was fixed in 16.2

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's a screenshot similar to yours to show you.

vmware_screenie.png

I never noticed it ever being broken, and I ran all of these versions for a long time.  I saw you asked if it was fixed, and no one responded.

The Windows SDK forces a standard look amongst all applications.  VMWare should be using the SDK, so for an application to have a very different look in minimize, maximize and title bar hints at some other things going on.  Do you have any third-party items installed at all that change Windows behavior?

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly, after I posted this the next update for VMWare Workstation Professional changed things.  This is 16.2.1 build-18811642.

vmware_screenie2.png

It seems some coder on the VMWare development team did this because he or she could.  There's no good reason to do such a thing.

0 Kudos
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

**bleep**, that really sucks. **bleep** VMware, why?

0 Kudos
btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the focus image I had attached in my earlier post on this thread and you can see the difference

Note you won't be able to reproduce this issue unless you already have Settings > Personalization > Colors > Show accent color on the following surfaces > 'Title bars and window borders' enabled and likely wouldn't notice if are not already 'used' to having it enabled.

AKA

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"ColorPrevalence"=dword:00000001

The version of 16 that 'broke dark mode' without the pref ini entry getting manually added 'fixed' it for me but now it's back to overwriting it with the custom themes in more recent versions again. I got tired of waiting for them so I searched for a fix that can be manually applied if you are familiar with a hex editor. I've done a little testing with it (a few hours so far) and it's working great on my system!

Spoiler

This is ONLY for build 16.1.2.8432 aka 16.1.2 build 17966106 of "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" with  SHA1 08ef59db2175e984e38c04087ce9de1986c4c383

File Name:     vmware.exe
File Offset:    c1389
Original:         8A 00 84 C0 0F 84
Overwritten:  C6 00 00 90 90 E9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is ONLY for build 16.2.2.20227 aka 16.2.2 build 19200509 of "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" with  SHA1 62c10ffd00c6bc7da2633add043fd7884f0c34d

File Offset:    be8dc
Original:        8A 00 84 C0 0F 84
Overwritten: C6 00 00 90 90 E9

This stops vmware.exe from 'overwriting' the title bar with its custom theme stuff and allows the default windows title bar size, buttons, colors and active status to remain and continue to function as "expected"

Now we just need an option to 'exclude the title bar' from theme changes to get added and everyone can be happy again!

steppres
Contributor
Contributor

Patch notes for 16.2.3

Spoiler

This is ONLY for build 16.2.3.21887 aka 16.2.3 build-19376536 of "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" with  SHA1 dab297c5c4227d2988e2780ba6a25b288383b6c1

File Offset:    be88c
Original:        8A 00 84 C0 0F 84

steppres
Contributor
Contributor

Binary patching notes for 16.2.4

Spoiler

This is ONLY for build 16.2.4.28481 aka 16.2.4 build-20089737 of "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" with SHA1 cddf69d3825df73b739d2cef969b5d03f100e933

File Name: vmware.exe
File Offset: be88c
Original: 8A 00 84 C0 0F 84

0 Kudos