VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 16 waiting for connection

I am running Kubuntu 20.04 with a Windows 10 VM.  I'm using Workstation 16.2.1 build-18811642.  I cannot now start any virtual machine, including clones that I had saved some months ago. 

Here's the error message I get:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (svga)

ISBRendererComm: Lost connection to mksSandbox (2713)

A log file is available in "/home/ddoernberg/vmware/Clone_5_19_20/vmware.log".

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.

You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I have attached the log file, but I have no idea how to interpret it.

Here's what I have done since the trouble began yesterday.

(1)  I replaced the VM with a clone from September, when everything was working well.  No joy.

(2) I uninstalled and reinstalled Workstation.  No joy.

(3) I purged and reinstalled Workstation (previous settings not saved).  No joy. 

I suppose I could go back to square 1 and reinstall the entire OS (creating a new host machine, essentially), but Kubuntu is working as it should with the exception of Workstation.  So the problem seems to be with Workstation rather than Kubuntu.

Truth in advertising:  I'm actually quite sure that the problem is with me, but I have no idea where to go from here.  I have backups of all my data, so although this is a major inconvenience, it is not an existential threat (that phrase being so popular these days).

Suggestions?  All thoughts welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The 16.2.0 and 16.2.1 version seems rather problematic on both Windows and Linux hosts.

You could try installing 16.1.2 version instead.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-1612-LX&productId=1038&rPId=...

0 Kudos