jsberrios
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 16 "Could not open /dev/vmmon" on OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 using secure boot

I just upgraded to VMWare Workstation 16.  The program install without any problems.  However, when I try to load a virtual machine, I get the following error Messages:

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Unable to change virtual machine power state: Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken.

I did a search on the Internet and found the following tutorial to fix this problem:  VMware Knowledge Base

The problem is that the tutorial does not work on openSUSE Leap 15.2 because there seems not to exist a 'linux-headers' command. 

Does anyone know a possible fix that works on openSUSE Leap 15.2?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The command is sign-file not linux-headers

I am not familar with OpenSUSE and I am an Ubuntu noob.

Suggest you try the sign-file command and maybe it will suggest the zypper installation required.

0 Kudos
jsberrios
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the sign-file command and this is what I got:

% sign-file

If 'sign-file' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:

cnf sign-file

I tried running the 'cnf sign-file" command and this was the result:

% cnf sign-file

sign-file: command not found      

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jsberrios
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to locate the 'sign-file' command.  It is located in the following directory:  /usr/src/linux-5.3.18-lp152.41-obj/x86_64/default/scripts

I entered the following commands:

# /usr/src/linux-5.3.18-lp152.41-obj/x86_64/default/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./MOK.priv ./MOK.der $(modinfo -n vmmon)

# /usr/src/linux-5.3.18-lp152.41-obj/x86_64/default/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./MOK.priv ./MOK.der $(modinfo -n vmnet)

# mokutil --import MOK.der

I rebooted my computer and had to authorize the modification to the kernel.  However, it still has the same problem.  Is there anything else that I need to do?

Again thanks for all your help on this issue.

0 Kudos