VMware Communities
GaryF_MAC
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 16 Pro installs DIFXAPI.dll in AppData\Local\Temp

There are 4 folders with this DIFXAPI.dll file in the Temp directory and these files/folders can't be renamed or deleted even with Admin rights:

1. HICD752.tmp.dir

2. OWAA62C.tmp.dir

3. WGIC9A.tmp.dir

4. ZMH98A2.tmp.dir

Is this a virus in the installer, is my system compromised, and how to I delete these temp files?

Just did a scan and Defender found this,

Program:Win32/Uwasson.A!ml

Affected items:

containerfile: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VMware\InstallerCache\{F838A98A-9A53-4983-9D1E-134EC757A162}.msi

containerfile: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\EFI32.ROM

containerfile: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VMware\vmware-download-0454\cdstmp_ws-windows_16.1.0_17198959\VMware-workstation-16.1.0-17198959.exe

Thanks,

Gary

0 Kudos
1 Reply
virtual_M
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can still delete the folders and files. Just take ownership of the folders and click

Folder Properties > Security Tab > Advanced > Owner >  Edit >

here choose your user (that has admin rights to delete these folders and files - your user usually has them)

and click (to save time and not do it for containing files)  "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

Click Apply and OK to all the open windows.

Then you can delete the folders.

This worked for me on Windows 7.

If this alone doesn't work for you, do that step, plus add your user to "Group or user names:" list in the Security Tab and give yourself full rights.

I had Wmware 15 installed and I uninstalled it. I still had these files and didn't know where they came from until I saw your post.

0 Kudos