VMware Communities
saxa
Expert
Expert

Workstation 16.2: USB pass-through is unstable

Dear all, dear support,

in an new Workstation 16.2 there is a strange problem: the USB devices, which are passed through to a Windows 10 VM are getting occasionally disconnected. It looks like if somebody would just pull out the cable out from the PC.

After the short time of nothing doing is the connection intact again.

I use pass-through for an USB headset and for an USB webcam, to work with Microsoft Teams from inside of a VM. If you loose your connection in the middle of a conference, it's not very cool 😉

Meanwhile I downgraded Workstation to 16.1.2, which doesn't have these problems.

One more point: in order to get the devices (headset and webcam) work on WS 16.1.2, I have to set the virtual USB adapter to be USB 2.0. With this setting on WS 16.2 I had to set the virtual USB adapter to USB 3.1, because while having it in USB 2.0 mode, I didn't get sound at all.

41 Replies
yaochengxiang
Contributor
Contributor

that works

0 Kudos
RobertTheFixer
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates to this issue at all?  I recently tried VMWare 16.2.4 thinking (hoping) this issue was resolved, but I still had the same disconnect issues with a USB headset, so I rolled back to 16.1.2.  Has anyone found any solution to this issue besides staying at an old version of VMWare?

0 Kudos
Solus_VM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my Jabra Engage 75 headset in my Windows 10 VM since VMware Workstation version 16.2, which is why I was still using the old version 16.1.2 until a week ago. I have tried many things, but nothing has helped.

I've now updated to the new VMware Workstation version 17, but unfortunately the problem still exists... A firmware upgrade of my headset was also recently released, but that didn't change anything either.

In order for me to use the headset at all, I had to change the VM settings for USB from 2.0 to USB 3.1. That works for a while (sometimes even for several hours), but very often, however, I have the problem that I can still hear something with my headset, but the person I'm talking to suddenly stops hearing anything in the middle of the conversation, or sometimes even at the beginning of the conversation. Most of the time it's enough to restart my softphone application, but I also think that it's a short interruption of the USB connection and my softphone application can no longer access the microphone. Interestingly, I haven't had the problem of not being able to hear anything myself.

VMware Workstation version 16.1.2 was released in May 2021. It would be a real shame if I had to downgrade to this 1.5 year old version again now, just because I have to work with my headset every day in one of my many VMs. I hope there will be some solution for this soon.

0 Kudos
Solus_VM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it helps anyone: I've now installed a software called "USB Network Gate" (https://www.net-usb.com) on my host system and inside my VM. I use it to pass my USB headset through to the VM over the network rather than directly through VMware Workstation. This works perfectly and without any interruption. It also causes just 1.5 to 3 Mbps of traffic when I'm on the phone and only a few Kbps when I'm not using my headset. I also don't notice any delays. So now I stay with VMware Workstation 17 and use this software as a workaround. In my opinion, this is still better than using an 1.5 years old VMware Workstation version.

However, I still hope that VMware will be able to fix this problem, of course.

STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me add a precision (based on my experience), is that if the system is stressed (typically the CPU), then the probability of the USB issue sharply increases.

0 Kudos
STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So although it is not the user's fault in any way, it is still in some way a user-triggered event, which can usually be reproduced by just stressing the system during a test Zoom meeting session (since those apps are not forgiving with USB Mic loss).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That tip about using USB over Ethernet is brilliant. Sounds terrific ! One question I have is this... You stated that passing USB through the network causes 1.5-3 Mbps of traffic. Well, that's where it calls for clarification. If your USB mic is somewhere else on your LAN (say a separate PC), then yes, I understand it will actually force the data to transit over the Ethernet fabric. However, if the host system has the USB mic and all you are doing is passing the USB traffic to the VM through the network, then those packets should not even have to transit through the physical NIC at all, since it would be entirely handled by the virtualization layer. What that means is that the 1.5-3 Mbps network consumption might be showing on both the host and the VM, but yet the reading should be null on your physical network adapter (or network). The implication is that there should be zero impact on network performance, as all will be processed internally within the host's RAM (negligible load). Of course, the requirement is that both the VM and the underlying host have to be able to talk to each other through the network, but that should be easy to setup (if not already by default). Please confirm if that theory is accurate, as this is how it should be logically happening. The bad thing about the "USN Network Gate" tool is that it is not cheap... about the same price as VMware Workstation... ouch ! The truth is... it seems that VMware is aware of the USB bug but has not yet found the root of the issue. That stuff is at the core of their business (hardware virtualization), so it's imperative they solve it rather quickly.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Solus_VM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's right, the software is really not cheap, unfortunately. If the USB device being shared is connected to the VM's host, the network traffic should only run internally on the host. I use a bridged network adapter on my VM so that the VM is reachable on my LAN. Thereby I see the mentioned traffic in the task manager of my host at my normal physical network interface. So it could be that the traffic is running over it in this case, but it could also be that it is only shown there, but the traffic is not really physically running over it. You could theoretically also add a host-only network adapter to the VM to share the USB device using this interface. Then the traffic definitely doesn't run over the physical network interface and doesn't affect the performance there.

STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello everyone, I'd like to test a new theory regarding the potentiel root cause for this issue. Could you all indicate which computer you are using as the host for your VMware Worstation (that's subject to the USB issue) ? Mine is a Dell Precision 7700. I had the same exact issue previously with a Dell Precision 7600 by the way. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Solus_VM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using a self-built desktop computer with an ASUS Zenith II Extreme motherboard, an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X CPU and 256 GB of DDR4 RAM. I suspect that this issue can't be narrowed down to a specific hardware configuration or manufacturer.

saxa
Expert
Expert

I'm using:

1. Shuttle DH370 with Intel i9-9900 CPU and 64 GB RAM.

2. Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2a with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U and 64 GB RAM.

Both devices are used in conjunction with USB2-hubs, because you need USB2 to connect your audio devices, which you would like to share to a guest. Both devices run Windows 10 and both devices don't have the described problems with WS 16.1.2 build-17966106, but do have it with any newer version of WS.

I doubt, that is possible to narrow the problem to some hardware config.

TheRealPomax
Contributor
Contributor

Note that Altima Network Gate is prohibitively expensive, starting at $160 for sharing just a *single* USB device, a mind-boggling $300 for two devices, and then jumping up to "we cater to companies, we don't care if you can afford this or not" $1200 if you want unlimited devices.

Instead, I can wholly recommend VirtualHere instead, https://www.virtualhere.com, which may lack the polished UI of Network Gate, but works just as well, and has only a single pricing tier: fifty bucks for unlimited devices.

That said, the fact that we need third party software just to overcome the horrible USB forwarding implementation that VMware gives us is quite disappointing. You'd think that after all these years they've have contracted someone to write proper USB sharing from host to guest. If the author of VirtualHere can do it as a side project, VMware can easily do this, too.

STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's what I recently discovered : I disabled Dell Command on the underlying host system and it helped !

This is software loaded by default on new Dell Precision laptops that monitors hardware and also which checks for BIOS, firmware and driver updates. At first, I thought it was great at it handled all updates automatically for me. But...

Instantly after disabling Dell Command automated checks, almost all USB problems in VMware Workstation disappeared. Wow ! So how did I found out in the first place ?

On a couple of instances, I noticed that I lost the USB microphone during a Zoom meeting in a VM immediately after Dell Command indicated a new driver was available on the host. Please note it did not even install it; it merely checked for new driver availability (which implies it must have polled the system to some degree). I guess it did not do some clean "read" inspection of system resources...?

Further investigation revealed that Dell Command was constantly and silently checking the system for new drivers and also polling system health.

Consequently, one assumption is that it might behave as some kind of a hypervisor itself (or at the very least it might lock access to the hardware, kicking VMware Workstation out for a brief moment), which I am suspecting might interfere with the virtualization layer. Indeed, both might be for a fraction of a second in contention.

A conflict for USB bus reservation might then trigger the issue we're observing on the guest OS. The "good" news is that this is benign in that there is no crash; merely a temporary loss of USB.

However, even if it's just a few milli or micro-seconds, it's enough for Zoom (or I'm guessing Skype, etc...) to permanently lose the USB microphone until we manually re-assign it (a pain, especially if you are in the middle of a public speech).

That might also explain why, from VMware's perspective, it is difficult to identify the problem (we have had multiple support cases open regarding this, and although they admit they've had several customers report the issue, they were not able to reproduce it). That's simply because Dell Command and equivalent software from other vendors are additional variables which viciously interface between the hardware and the virtualization layer. And VMware might not even take that into account, perhaps reasoning that it is an external variable...? Not sure, but that appears like a plausible explanation.

The problem could be circumvented (or I would say "masked", and therefore hard to diagnose - so, not ideal) if software vendors (specifically Zoom or Skype) had a built-in mechanism to reconnect USB automatically; however this would not help anyone in pin-pointing the root cause of the issue. So that in itself is not a preferred solution.

Even though it is a tough issue to troubleshoot, I'm rather satisfied that the USB breaks (in some way), because at least it gives us something flagrant to work with.

Unfortunately, I personally do not have the tools to investigate the hardware or system (driver layer) and how all of this interacts. So we're for the most part left with our reliance on VMware to look further into this.

The question is, for those in the community who use different hardware (HP, IBM, Toshiba, etc...), if there are equivalent symptoms or behavior on your platform, then should you look into similar, equivalent software (or drivers) on the host, which might likewise potentially interfere with the virtualization layer from VMware Workstation (particularly as it relates to USB) ?

Try disabling any vendor software that is uninstalled on the host system and see if it helps. Also, be sure to have all the stable device drivers installed on the host system. This will make it easier for VMware Worstation to work with.

Just a thought... Please let us know how that goes !

0 Kudos
STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to provide a quick update regarding this USB issue.

It has been about 3-4 weeks since I have disabled Dell Command (device driver firmware management tool).

I am happy to report that I have had almost zero problems since ! That is a huge relief indeed.

I would strongly encourage everyone facing the same issue to investigate the vendor software running on the underlying host.

You should check specifically what relates to driver or firmware management on the host.

I hope this helps solve your problem, or at least points you in the right direction.

Please let me know if that works for you.

0 Kudos
saxa
Expert
Expert

Well... I'm not on a Dell hardware and I'm not having any device driver firmware management tools. But the issue is still present, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
STTH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Then I would look at the BIOS or host drivers.

0 Kudos
squawk1
Contributor
Contributor

This has long been an annoyance.  My Sennheiser USB headset essentially doesn't work (extreme crackle) on Workstation 17.0.2 (current latest) or 16.2.X.  Last working version is 16.1.2.  Can't understand why this isn't fixed as it's trivial to reproduce.  BTW I'm using a Dell Precision, but uninstalling Dell command update / support assist / optimizer doesn't make a scrap of difference.

rmilanov
Contributor
Contributor

Throttling is an issue that ultimately affects the VM's USB system....

Turn off throttling with:

powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe"

0 Kudos
saxa
Expert
Expert

Attention, attention! Achtung, Achtung! Увага, увага!

My last try with Workstation 17.5 (Build 22583795) was successful! Unfortunately not 😞

Following combination lets the sound in a VM working:

• The sound device (Jabra Speak 410 USB) is connected via USB 3.1 with host (Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2);
  • The guest is Windows 10 LTSC 2021 having a virtual USB 3.1 adapter;
  • The sound device is passed through to a guest via USB.

I think, it will be working with other guests, too.

P.S.: Dell hardware is not involved in any way.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
squawk1
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately v17.5.0 doesn't work for my setup (sennheiser usb mic, windows 10 guest, windows 11 host)

nor does the power throttling solution suggested earlier (this seemed unlikely as v16.1.2 works)

on v17.5.0 I can occasionally get moments of clarity by switching virtual USB capability (eg 2.0 -> 1.1), but it doesn't always work or last long.

my setup seems to work in VirtualBox, so going to investigate that further

0 Kudos