VMware Communities
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 16.2.4 for Linux NAT problem

Workstation 16.2.4 for Linux fixed the problem of Workstation not working under Ubuntu 22.04 but now NAT no longer works. The VM's are able to work with bridged networking but they no longer work with NAT. I've tried this with RHEL, Fedora, Windows and Ubuntu VM's and none of them work with NAT but they all work with bridged. Is anyone else seeing this problem? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not seeing that here: Arch-based host, various VMs. When you say it's "not working", can you please elaborate?

0 Kudos
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I start a VM that is using NAT on Ubuntu 22.04 the VM runs OK but it has no network connectivity. It does receive a DHCP address from the NAT interface but I can't ping anything on the network. However if I switch to bridged network everything works fine. I tried pinging the default gateway on the NAT interface and it might work for 1 ping then nothing.  Also I tried this with Ubuntu, Fedora and Windows VM's and its the same story.

ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A few more questions:

1. Are you running any unusual firewall rules?
  2. What does `sudo ufw status` show?

Have you done anything special with VMware's dhcp server? What does dhcpd.conf show (from your NAT network, should be vmnet8 by default)?

0 Kudos
jfreedman1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same problem with NAT on all my vms.  Host ubuntu 20.04.

0 Kudos
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No I haven't done anything with the firewall rules of the VMware DHCP server. It does get a valid NAT DHCP address then nothing. The UFW status is inactive and it is vmnet8.

0 Kudos
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm glad its not just me and like I said its happening on 2204 also. This problem showed up on 16.2.4 and it wasn't happening in previous versions. 

0 Kudos
Arun_Arumugam
Contributor
Contributor

I solved NAT problem by updating McAfee AV settings in Windows 10 host.

1. I changed to "Smart Access " in "Traffic Controller" ( in McAfee AV firewall ).
2. Added my NAT IP segment as Home in "My Network Connections"  in McAfee AV firewall.

0 Kudos
ashen
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm seeing this too 😞

I thought it was solved by unticking "Accelerate 3D graphics" (as this solved the incorrectly crossed out networking icon in the settings on the bottom right) - but it didn't ...

This VMware release seems very buggy 😞

0 Kudos
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Back in 16.2.3 I had "Accelerate 3D graphics" problem but in my case VM's were failing to start up when this was turned on; I didn't have the networking issue at that time. I assumed that was happening because I was doing this under Linux with integrated graphics on laptops which was causing other weird problems. I never had that problem or the current problem with desktop computers running Workstation under Windows with "normal" non-integrated graphics. With this Broadcom acquisition I wonder if VMware Workstation is going to be around much longer at all.

0 Kudos
djj
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue on 16.2.4 for Windows.  No network connectivity in guest when the virtual network adapter is configured for NAT.  I'm running a Win10 host.  I only tried it with a Windows XP guest.

I reverted to 16.2.3 and NAT is working again.

0 Kudos
mw73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's interesting, I'm only seeing the NAT problem on Linux and I'm running 16.2.4 on Windows 10 right now and I'm not seeing the problem. What you said about reverting is the reason why I always keep software versions 2-3 hops back just in case.

0 Kudos