VMware Communities
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 15 (vmx-16) OVAs Importing as Workstation 14 (vmx-14) Hardware Version

I am testing out v15.0.0 build-10134415 on Windows 10. I found that if I create a VM, and export it to as an OVA or OVF, then re-import it, Workstation 15 tells me that the VM has a compatibility of Workstation 14, and I need to upgrade it before it reads compatibility of Workstation 15. When I manually analyze the OVF file, it reads vmx-16 as the compatibility version, which is for Workstation 15.

This seems like a defect in Workstation 15. If so, is there a fast way to have a developer notified?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for reporting the issue! This looks weird, but is however expected. This is because in Workstation 15, the OVFTools bundled supports hardware version up to 14. You need to upgrade the hardware version using Workstation UI after imported.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for reporting the issue! This looks weird, but is however expected. This is because in Workstation 15, the OVFTools bundled supports hardware version up to 14. You need to upgrade the hardware version using Workstation UI after imported.

0 Kudos
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. Would I be right to assume that it is planned for the version of OVFTools to be upgraded to support vmx-16? If so, is there an expected timeframe for that?

0 Kudos