VMware Communities
Bernd_G77
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15 Pro not working with my CPU on Win10 and Workst. 7 works with CPU but not on Win10

Dear all,

I am somehow trapped between to problems.

My Workstation 15 Pro is not working with my CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 940 @ 2.13GHz 2.13 GHz on my 64bit Windows 10.

And my other Licence Workstation 7 is not working with Windows 10 but would work with my CPU properly.

I upgraded to WIN 10 today.

What can I do? Maybe there is a version that works with my old license for Workstation 7 but on Win10.
Or maybe there is a version that works with my License von Workstation 15 Pro and also with my old CPU?

Thanks a lot,

Bernd

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think the last VMware Workstation that works on your CPU is VMware Workstation 12.

Unfortunately though Workstation 12.x and the latest Windows 10 are not really compatible with each other either. So I doubt that that will help much.

It works OK on Windows 8.1, but I don't know if you want to downgrade to that version of Windows.

Seems you're a bit out of luck here in regards to the different compatibility levels on that hardware.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Bernd_G77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer. Yes, I also was afraid of that outcome. The only workaround will be using another software. I am trying my luck with VirtualBox at the moment. The latest versions works well on the PC. I also converted the VMWare VM to the right format and it boots properly. But the graphics and the behavior of the mouse won't work so well. VMWare seems to be more comfortable. But unfortunately I don't have a choice.

So I go with an alternative software.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos