VMware Communities
silverlox
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15 Pro - PCI-card access

I would like to have a Windows 10 VM have access to a PCI-E TV card resident in the host machine running Windows 10 also.

I believe there is a way to do this in VirtualBox using the hardware id's etc but cannot see if this is possible within VMware Workstation 15.

If I need to update to V16 then so be it but before I do, wanted to find out if it's not possible first.

Has anyone any suggestions/help they offer?

Reason is I'm trying to create a VM for the main programs I use as I'm fed up with Microsoft adding updates silently that break various functions that end up with me needing to restore a backup or a complete re-install. (Just in case, I have licenced copies of Windows to use)

Thank for looking and any help you can offer

Labels (1)
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

PCI pass-through does not exist for VMware Workstation, sorry.
This can only be done with VMware vSphere and as that is a totally different product, I don't think that it will help you.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Jacobaker
Contributor
Contributor

All,

Is it possible to use a thunderbolt 3-4 PCIe dock and passthrough to the VM in workstation?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Jacobaker wrote:

All,

Is it possible to use a thunderbolt 3-4 PCIe dock and passthrough to the VM in workstation?

Highly doubtful.  Workstation can pass through USB, Serial, Parallel, and Bluetooth devices.  And, at an advanced level, hard disks/partitions.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I'll remove the doubt:  No, here's no passthrough of Thunderbolt or PCIe devices. If the dock has the ports that @RDPetruska notes, those should be able to be passed through. But no pass-through of GPUs or other PCI cards. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos