VMware Communities
mmatsuh
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15 Player/Pro, mouse click conflicts with autohotkey

Host: Windows 1809(latest stable), autohotkey v1.1.30.03(latest stable, but this probrem is at least from v1.1.29.00 afaik)

Guest: All (I confirmed Fedora Workstation 28, 29 and ubuntu 18.04.2. GUI and CLI)

Workstation 15 Player and Pro

I have my autohotkey script:

XButton1::MButton

This changes mouse button 4 (back navigation on browsers) to mouse middle button.

It works fine and doesn't work in VM, of course.

The probrem happens when I push mouse button 4 on any host's application such as firefox with still having focus on Workstation Player window.

If I launch autohotkey script first, windows focus is stuck on clicked window.  Kill autohotkey and click mouse button 4 on stucked windows to fix.

If I launch Workstation Player first, mouse button 4 click is ignored and nothing happens.  Though other mouse buttons work: change windows focus and perform click.

Launch order matters and I call this "conflict".

This conflict doesn't happen in VirtualBox and I reported here.

Both on Workstation 15 Player and Pro.

The VM is not necessarily on GUI.  After Ctrl+alt on CLI mode to back to host, this probrem happens.

Whether VMware Tools is installed doesn't matter.

Running autohotkey as administrator doesn't matter.

It seems like autohotkey cannot recognize the mouse button 4 press and I couldn't solve this probrem with autohotkey script though I tried variables, conditions and sending keys, etc.

My mouse has no vendor specific driver: uses Windows default driver.

Autohotkeyscript like:

XButton1::a

to change mouse button 4 to key 'a', doesn't work too.

Autohotkey is a very common automation tool.

Please fix this problem!

Thank you for reading this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
brainbarker
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to say that I have the same issue since upgrading to Workstation 15 (the issue did not exist on version 12), and also that it is not specific to AutoHotKey. I am using Logitech SetPoint to switch Windows 10 virtual desktops using the mouse, and the new VMWare breaks this as well. It appears that the Workstation window (regardless of what guest (if any) is foremost) is stealing the mouse and keyboard events before they can be passed on to AutoHotKey, SetPoint, or other similar utilities.

As I usually have multiple VMs spread across multiple virtual desktops, this issue has seriously impacted my workflow. Please look into this and fix it as soon as possible. Thank you!

PS. One more important point: The way it worked in version 12 was that mouse and keyboard events were only stolen when the mouse was inside the VM's window. In order to send host hotkeys when a Windows guest was in use, you had to move the mouse out of the VM's window (or to the drop-down VMWare menu bar when in full-screen mode). Then the hotkeys passed to the host as expected.Restoring this behavior would be enough of a fix for me.

0 Kudos