VMware Communities
Mickulus
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15: Display Problems

Moin. in the new version workstation,

in the new version Workstation Pro version 15.x I observe an abnormal behavior of the VMs.

The respective VM, or the contained machine becomes briefly black and returns afterwards again. The process takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds and is repeated at different intervals.

Here must be urgently repaired.

Host:

Windows 10 64bit v.1803

Nvidia Geforce 980

32GB of RAM

500GB SSD

0 Kudos
4 Replies
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You could try turning off 3D graphics in the VM and see if it goes away?  (Depending on whether or not you need 3D graphics from the guest.)

Otherwise if you can post a vmware.log from the VM (and let us know the timestamp where this occurred), we can take a look.

Usually these are interactions with the host's graphics driver, so our best advice is to try and update your host's graphics drivers or disable 3D.

0 Kudos
Mickulus
Contributor
Contributor

Moin BM,

thank you for your answer.

I switched off the 3D grafics in the settings.

The graphic drivers are up to date.

The problems remain. It seems as if the virtual machine stops briefly and continues to run after a 1-1.5 second blackout.

In the past versions of Workstation it was no problem whether the 3D graphics was activated or not. And they are mostly activated.

At the beginning I thought, the virtual machine is initializing, but then the intervals remain during the whole usage time. That makes a working day a tiring one.

I had a full log file created, but with about 5000 lines it's a bit too big to post.

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should be able to attach the log as a file in your post?

But if the VM was cleanly powered off, you disabled 3D, and then after powering it on you're still seeing intermittent black screens, then there's probably something more going on here than just your graphics driver.

0 Kudos
Flownwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I had this exact same problem when my background image in the Windows 10 host machine changed every 10 minutes.  The screen in Workstation 15 goes black for about a second and then come back.

0 Kudos