VMware Communities
JaylTheGreat
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.5 License Expiring, What Next?

Hello All,

I'm asking this on the forums because it's been a pain in the neck trying to use the normal support avenues to answer my question (maybe I'm just dumb).

So from my college I was able to get a year long evaluation of Workstation Pro 15.5 (i don't remember if the eval was tied to that version or not; however, that is the version I have installed).

Now that I have a software job and a VM is super useful for developing on linux from a windows computer, I would like to continue using the VM.

What license should I get?

Since this is with a new organization (my work will be paying for it) do I need to get a fully new license, or should I choose the version "upgrade from Workstation pro 14 or greater"?

Again, Sorry if this is not the best place for this, but I was getting frustrated that there was no easily available support email and everything I was finding on the website seemed to be focused on big corporate sales.

Thanks for any advice!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Without knowing the legal small print in the license agreement, I would expect you to need a full license rather than an upgrade license - on the basis that your student license would only have been for use while you were a student.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
JaylTheGreat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice!

Just purchased a full license.

0 Kudos