VMware Communities
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.5.6 - Network performance

Hallo,

in my local network I didn't reach 1000 MBit. The maximum speed is 500 MBit.

How can I tune the performance ?

Best regards

Aladin

PS.: The net work is wireed.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Host OS and version?

Guest OS and version?

Physical NIC type?

VM NIC type?

VMware Tools installed in the guest OS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS and version?      Window 10 Pro Version 2004

Guest OS and version?    Window 10 Pro Version 2004 und Debian Linux version 9.3.0

Physical NIC type?            Ist mir unbekannt. Wo finde ich die Einstellung ?

VM NIC type?                    Ist mir unbekannt. Wo finde ich die Einstellung ?

VMware Tools installed in the guest OS?     Ja

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What type of network card is in your Windows PC?

What type of network card is in the VM hardware settings?

And one more question, how are you measuring the performance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

What type of network card is in your Windows PC?

Host.PNG

What type of network card is in the VM hardware settings?

Gast.PNG

And one more question, how are you measuring the performance? I use speedtest.unitymedia.de.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, so take a backup of the VMX file for you VM and try this:

Where is the option to change adapter type?

0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo,

can I use "vmxnet3" for all guest systems or have I use differnd numbers for each guest system ?

Viele Grüße

Aladin

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So long as the guest OS has the driver, which Windows guests will if you have VMware Tools installed.

Not sure what you mean by a “different number” - VMXNET3 has been the most recent VMware-specific network adapter type for many years now.

0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo,

thank you @scott28tt.

The performance is now about 700 mBits/Sec. It's a little bit faster, but the performance is not optimal.

Is possible to reach 900 mBits/Sec.

Best regards

Aladin

0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo,

have anyone an idea what I can do anymore ?

Best regards

Aladin

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Realize that the virtual network adapter 'speed' is merely a label for the guest OS to categorize the virtual NIC.  ALL network traffic is performed in software by the host CPU.  So, performance may vary greatly depending on your actual host CPU and other available resources.

0 Kudos
watcher1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unless you change all your network devices to use Jumbo Frames, I'm surprised you're running as fast as you are.

0 Kudos
aladin25
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo,

today I test Jumbo Packages with different sizes, but the performance does not change.

Best regards

Aladin

0 Kudos