VMware Communities
Thorarin
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.5.5 performance hit

Just a couple of hours ago, I've updated from 15.5.1 (?) to version 15.5.5 of Workstation Pro.

I've been exited about this update, especially being able to use WSL2 on my developer system is a plus.

However, immediately after updating, I noticed a quite dramatic performance hit.

My mouse cursor doesn't even move fluently anymore, it hangs and stutters a lot.

I haven't installed Hyper-V related services yet.

Anyone else experiencing this?

System summary:

i9-10940X, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070.

Running Windows 10 1909 still.

Tags (1)
68 Replies
hellerim
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools automatically installed in less than 5 minutes which is fine.

0 Kudos
hellerim
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler

Meanwhile, some new findings: The new VM was upgraded to Win 10 20H2. It is still slow, to slow to work normally with it, but much faster than the VMs under Workstation Pro 16. Other VMs, with Windows 7 and Windows 10 2009, appear to work reasonably fast.

As I did not take any measurements, I have to confess that I report only how I feel when using the VMs. However, I would say the problem is solved to a certain degree (at least as I can see). The Workstation team at VMware did a great job, but there is still something left to do. Anyway - congratulations!

Resume: If your Workstation Pro installation needs to run on Windows 10 20H2, then switch to version 16.1 as soon as possible! If you do need to run VMs under Windows 10 20H2, consider moving them to an Esxi installation for a while.

0 Kudos
hellerim
Contributor
Contributor

Meanwhile, some new findings: The new VM was upgraded to Win 10 20H2. It is still slow, to slow to work normally with it, but much faster than the VMs under Workstation Pro 16. Other VMs, with Windows 7 and Windows 10 2009, appear to work reasonably fast.

As I did not take any measurements, I have to confess that I report only how I feel when using the VMs. However, I would say the problem is solved to a certain degree (at least as I can see). The Workstation team at VMware did a great job, but there is still something left to do. Anyway - congratulations!

Resume: If your Workstation Pro installation needs to run on Windows 10 20H2, then switch to version 16.1 as soon as possible! If you do need to run VMs under Windows 10 20H2, consider moving them to an Esxi installation for a while.

0 Kudos
hellerim
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
AaronChang
Contributor
Contributor

emm...  

0 Kudos
AaronChang
Contributor
Contributor

@hahakiki2010 

Is the issue resoloved? 

0 Kudos
mjay88
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same issues with 15.5.7

I followed the recommendations here but to no avail.

0 Kudos
simdoc
Contributor
Contributor

It's not fixed for me in 16.1.2.

0 Kudos
cslewis
Contributor
Contributor

Just adding my observations here:

The issue on my set up - VMWare Workstation 16.1.2 build-17966106 is localized to 32 bit guest OSes, specifically in my case to an old OS called SCO OpenServer 5.0.6.

For other more modern OSes, like RockOS 64bit, even with wsl2 enabled, docker desktop, and Ubuntu 'app' running, the RockyOS boots at a normal rate of speed.

The SCO OS takes literally hours to boot.

0 Kudos