VMware Communities
marks2017
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 15.2.2 no Removable Devices appear to select?

I upgraded Workstation from 15.2.1 to 15.2.2 / The Removable Device List is nearly empty now.  How do I make a device needed for the Virtual machine appear on the list?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you unplug and re-plug your device , or maybe disconnect the USB devices  from host, and connect them to guest?

0 Kudos
marks2017
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was; previously there were 15 devices listed.  After the upgrade there were 3 listed.  I tried unplugging those I could (half of them are fixed within the host, meaning not USB not able to unplug and plug in) of those I could unplug, it made no difference.

So.  I removed workstation from the host (retained license), and reinstalled it.  / Before installing I unplugged all USB devices I could.  I plugged them in one at a time starting with the USB hubs.  Some of the devices needed to be moved to different USB ports for them to appear.  Things work now, but not a quick and easy process to fix.  Still don't know how to get devices to appear on the VM list that initially were assigned to the Host (initially, meaning they don't even appear on the VM list to select)

0 Kudos
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I had some odd behavior recently where my Host (Windows 10 1909)  USB devices weren't showing up in the Guests removable devices list.

I noticed that the vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe wasn't running, so I started that from Windows 10 Services. That didn't seem to help, but a reboot did.

0 Kudos