VMware Communities
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 15.0.0 - Can not upgrade or clone VM's

Just upgraded to 15.0.0 from 14.   I can not clone or upgrade machines (selecting full clone).   I get a parameter incorrect error.

This is major.

16 Replies
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Command line is a fail too!!!

vmrun -T ws clone "I:\Virtual Machines\Development\VS2017LR170307\VS2017LR170307.vmx" "I:\Virtual Machines\Development\VS2017LR181001\VS2017LR181001.vmx" "full" -cloneName=VS2017LR181001

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Will you please run Help > Collect Support Data and select the VM? Thanks a lot!

You can upload the collected data via below

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User: inbound

Pwd: inbound

Port: 21

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried and the utility fails because it says something changed on my system preventing it from making the Zip file.   I closed all running programs except VMWare and have tried several times.

I did narrow out the issue.

I keep all my VM's on my I: drive.   If I clone or upgrade VM's to the C: drive, it works.  Problem is that I have to then copy the drive back to the I: drive.   This was not necessary in WS14. 

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Then please upload the ui log (you can get the location of ui log from Help > About VMware Workstation).

0 Kudos
ajames1526
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue of cloning failed. vmsupport-2018-10-05-09-50.zip uploaded

0 Kudos
513V30
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same error. Logfile is attached to my post.

0 Kudos
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uploaded and attached

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks all for your logs! Currently we are not able to reproduce the issue. We are still investigating.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi all,

Will you please collect more logs for investigation?

1. Download process monitor from sysinternals Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

2. Start process monitor with administrator

3. Make sure File > Capture Events are enabled (default is enabled)

4. Reproduce the cloning failure issue with VMware Workstation

5. In Process Monitor, File > Save and select All events, please save once in PML format and another one in CSV format.

And a few questions:

1) Is the VM located in an internal drive? What is the filesystem on the drive?

2) Is the drive encrypted or not?

3) Any special configuration with the VM? or all VMs are not able to be cloned?

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM is on a local Microsoft Storage Space Device drive (I assigned Drive I:).  No drive encryption. No special VM settings. 

In WS14, I could take any of my VM's on Drive I: and clone it to Drive I: without issue.

In WS15, I can only clone a VM on Drive I: to drive C, then manually copy the VM back to Drive I:

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Now I can reproduce the issue. It will certainly speed up fixing the issue!

Can anyone else confirm if your VM is not on a Microsoft storage space drive? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome.  While bummed it's an issue, at least it's narrowed down and reproducible, which I know is 3/4 of the battle.   It broke in WS15 as it worked fine in WS14.

Look forward to the resolution and feel free to contact me if you need me to test a fixed build prior to release of the update (which I hope is soon).

0 Kudos
Aysberg
Contributor
Contributor

I get a "The parameter is incorrect." message when I try to resize a disk using Workstation 15. The VM is stored on a storage space. Moving the VM to a "normal" drive lets me resize the disk without any problems.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting the issue! We are actively working on it.

0 Kudos
LanceRasmussen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are we any closer?  I need to clone some VM's and I'm blocked from doing this because I am using Microsoft Storage Space.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, we have root cause of the issue. Please be patient!