VMware Communities
chinaski007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 14 pro benefit to 12 pro on Haswell CPU

Dear Community,

can you expect any benefit which is worth the price when upgrading from 12 pro to 14 pro, when you have a Haswell CPU

and you like to run Windows 10 creators update host/guest and ubuntu/debina 64 guest.

Anyone already has experience about that ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

There is not much benefit of using version 14.x over version 12.5.9 using the same Haswell CPU.

Most of the Haswell specific CPU features (examples: INVPCID, MOVBE instructions) are already exposed to the guest VM with version 12.x (possibly earlier with version 11.x).

Using the Spectre/Meltdown patches as an example:

For Meltdown, the INVPCID is already looked at by version 12.x and exposed to the VM. The INVPCID instruction requires minimum hardware compatibility version 11 to be exposed (which suggests Workstation version 11.x already did that, too). You can see lines like these in the vmware.log.

| vmx| I125: Capability Found: cpuid.INVPCID = 0x1
| vmx| I125: VM Features Required: cpuid.INVPCID - Bool:Min:1

For Spectre, assuming the CPU has the microcode updates, version 12.5.9 exposes the 3 Spectre microcode updates

| vmx| I125: Capability Found: cpuid.STIBP = 0x1
| vmx| I125: Capability Found: cpuid.IBPB = 0x1
| vmx| I125: Capability Found: cpuid.IBRS = 0x1

| vmx| I125: VM Features Required: cpuid.STIBP - Bool:Min:1
| vmx| I125: VM Features Required: cpuid.IBRS - Bool:Min:1
| vmx| I125: VM Features Required: cpuid.IBPB - Bool:Min:1

On a Windows 10 VM, with the proper CPU microcode and OS patch, you will get "all green" in the Get-SpeculationControlSettings Powershell with version Workstation Pro 12.5.9. Windows 10 requires the INVPCID instruction for the PCID mitigation to be TRUE.

On a Linux VM, you can see in the flags of /proc/cpuinfo: spec_ctrl, invpcid, invpcid_single

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The main "benefit" is that Workstation 14 is not End Of Life while Workstation 12 has gone EOL recently.

See http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/support/Product-Lifecycle-Matrix.pdf Workstation 12.x EOL date is 2018-02-25

So any new security issues or other issues you might encounter with for example the host OS will no longer be addressed.

Unfortunately so far, Windows 10 has shown that it has a tendency to break things on a regular bases.

For the rest of the new features, it really depends on your needs.

Rather then me repeating the marketing machine about the new features in WS14, here's a link to a blog post somewhere out there:

8 New Features in VMware Workstation 14 Pro

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
chinaski007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your detailed answer. Will evaluate it.

0 Kudos