VMware Communities
trosenau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 14 on Windows 10 - All VMs have a red X.

Hello,

Workstation 14 on Windows 10 - All VMs have a red X. I just loaded Windows update:

January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192)

Now none of my virtual machines will even load. Red X over each one.

Any one else see this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trosenau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved. Somehow VM Sharing became enabled, which was set to the same directory as my other VMs. Not sure how this happened, but once I turned Sharing off. I was able to open and start all of my VMs.

Thank you for your assistance.

Todd

View solution in original post

11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what is the error you see on vm .... add as much information as you can along with screenshots of the error...

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
trosenau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see no error message. Here is screen shot. The only thing that had changed is the application of that Windows 10 update (that I know of).

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have you tried just using the menu to "Open an existing virtual machine" and browsing to one, to see if it loads and opens?  It's possible the library file may have gotten corrupted.

0 Kudos
trosenau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I do the "Open an existing virtual machine" and select one of my VMs, I get the following error: Locally open shared VM "Clone of Windows 7 x64 Professional sp1.vmx"is not allowed.

0 Kudos
trosenau
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved. Somehow VM Sharing became enabled, which was set to the same directory as my other VMs. Not sure how this happened, but once I turned Sharing off. I was able to open and start all of my VMs.

Thank you for your assistance.

Todd

Holzauge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many Thanks for your entry. I had the same problem and it was the same fact, the Shared VMs running in the same folder as the VMs under "My Computer".

Andrea

0 Kudos
twaner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You just saved me hours and hours of resetting my 25 servers(going to upgrade all images regardless but no time except weekends with work). Just weird since I re-imaged my entire system due to an SSD hard drive upgrade and thought reinstalling to a brand new image of VMWare Workstation PRO would have been easier than the upgrade I originally went through from v12. Spent weekends resetting permissions on my RAID arrays and this one setting fixed it all. Thanks to all who take the time to publish thier solutions to the community rather than just keep it to themselves!

0 Kudos
srudin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After upgrading from v12 to v15 "Shared VMs" were turned on automatically and set to the same directory. As a result I was unable to load any VM. Only after down-/upgrading again and googling for 2h I found this post - thanks for the hint!

However the work of VMware as well as their documentation and support were a disgrace and helped nothing at all.

0 Kudos
tut30tut130
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1.jpg

2.jpg

Paulwaddo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought I was going mad until I read this! Brilliant - thanks for the solution.

0 Kudos
chuacw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting this issue on Workstation 16.

Some VMs are in K:\SomeSubDir, some VMs are in D:\SomeSubDir.

In Preferences, Workspace, the default location setting is K:\SomeSubDir.

Only VMs located at K:\SomeSubDir can be started.
All VMs located not at K:\SomeSubDir have a red X, and can't be started.
If I move the VMs located at D:\SomeSubDir to K:\SomeSubDir, then those VMs that have a red X can be started.

That is at best, a workaround.

I'm running out of space at K: but have plenty of space on D:. How do I fix/configure Workstation 16 such that VMs on 😧 still runs?

0 Kudos