VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 14 incompatible with Kubuntu 18.04?

I just upgraded my Kubuntu OS from 16.04 to 18.04.  I did not change any hardware.  But when I tried to reinstall Workstation 14 Pro, it reported a hardware incompatibility with my Intel processor.  I originally tried to install version 14.1.3 (current), but when that failed, I went back to 14.1.1.  Even that failed. 

My BIOS does not have a "VMX Unrestricted Guest" feature or anything like it.  Any ideas on what I should do?  (I can always restore my 16.04 machine, but I'd rather not.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

VMX Unrestricted Guest is a feature of Intel CPUs that are from Westmere generation (2010) and newer. VMware Workstation 14.x/15.x requires that feature. So it is not a compatibility issue with Kubuntu 18.04 but with the CPU that you have.

So if the CPU that is older than Westmere (e.g. Nehalem CPU or Core 2 Duo), it will not be able to run Workstation 14.x/15.x. I think there is a small set of CPUs after 2010 (mostly from the Atom line) that also does not have that VMX Unrestricted Guest.

0 Kudos
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, BFS, but I'm still puzzled.  I had VMware and my VM running on the same hardware on Monday.  On Tuesday, after I upgraded to 18.04, it wouldn't run, but I can't see how upgrading Linux would change the characteristics of my CPU.  So today I tried installing 14.0.0, and the install went through.  But, when I tried to run Workstation, it told me that there were kernel updates needed.  I've seen that in earlier years, so I authorized the updates, but the update process froze on "Stopping VM Monitor" and reported "Unable to start services."  I've not been able to track down anything online that suggests how to cure that issue.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

So what CPU model exactly is it? Can you attach the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo on your next reply? Or attach the vmware.log of the last good known run of any VM as /proc/cpuinfo will not show the VMX unrestricted guest feature (it isn't one of the flags). The vmware.log should have an entry for MSR 0x485 and bit 5 should be set to indicate presence of VMX Unrestricted Guest.

How about the version of the kernel? I think version 14.x officially supports Ubuntu 18.04 as a host with its default kernel. More advanced kernels might introduced issues but it is strange for it to complain about VMX Unrestricted Guest. Kernel update should not change the presence/absence of VMX Unrestricted Guest feature. I think one of the 14.x point update install do check for the VMX unrestricted guest now whereas the original 14.0 installs but will fail to run any VM.

0 Kudos
barujfarzan
Contributor
Contributor

go to this path :

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation

and so change this file : config.ini

set this parameter on file config.ini

authd.client.port = "902"

authd.proxy.nfc = "vmware-hostd:ha-nfc"

installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled = "no"

installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled.epoch = "25844"