VMware Communities
neltnerb
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 14 hanging in Open Virtual Machines dialog

When I most recently opened Workstation 14 Pro on Ubuntu 17.10, it had both of my virtual machines in some kind of state where it couldn't start them. Both machines have Windows guest operating systems.

I closed both machines and deleted the lock files to try to reopen them, but now VMware hangs on the open virtual machines dialog. I tried opening it from a command prompt, clicking open machine, navigated to the vmx file, and when I click Open it just greys out and doesn't even display an error message (much less the machine front panel).

I have no idea how to diagnose this because there is no error message. There are none being printed to the terminal I launched VMware from either. I am at a loss as to how to proceed, is their an autorepair tool that fixes... I guess damaged vmx files? I have no idea how it even got to this state, it's very confusing and frustrating.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Would you please try to open other VMX files to see if still hit the Workstation UI hang? You can create a new VM, remove it from VM library, and then open its vmx file to load it to have a check.

0 Kudos