VMware Communities
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 14 Windows 7 Guest using bitlocker and TPM 2.0

Hi;

I was trying to set up a Windows 7 Ultimate Guest using Bitlocker on the boot drive (as a test). But, I can't seem to get Bitlocker to enable in the Guest for the boot drive for some reason.

I installed a new Guest with Windows 7 Ultimate w/SP1 using EFI instead of BIOS.  I encrypted the Windows 7 Guest from workstation (as apparently required by Workstation).

I added a TPM 2.0 to the hardware list, and then installed the Windows 7 hotfix for TPM 2.0 in the Guest. I then updated the TPM 2.0 driver by selecting the driver manually from the list of security devices. It now shows up under device manager without an apparent problem.

When I try to enable Bitlocker on the C: drive, I get an error saying

"The boot manager of this operating system is not compatible with bitlocker drive encryption. Use the bootrec.exe tool in the Windows recovery environment to update or repair the boot manager..."

Creating a system recovery disk and running 'bootrec /rebuildbcd' doesn't seem to help.

Did I miss a step? Has anyone got this working for a Windows 7 guest?

I can apparently add a 'D:' drive, and get bitlocker to enable on it, just not the boot c: drive.

Thanks;

P.S.: In case it's relevant, this is with a Windows 7 Host.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hansatwork
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue and my host is Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1709 at a PC with TPM and in the VM I have installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

0 Kudos