VMware Communities
dracman65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 14: Chrome and Opera do not render tabs on Windows 10 guest

I am losing my mind trying to figure out how since 12.x this is still an issue! Both Chrome and now Opera cannot render correctly when it comes to the tabs at the top part of the browser.

Has anyone come up with a solution that doesn't require turning off 3D Acceleration?

If this is not fixed, and soon, this will be my last purchase of VMWare Workstation. I'll go with Hyper-V which seems to run Windows 10 and all the apps/browsers perfectly.

Anyone?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have a look at this Re: Workstation Player 12: Chrome does not render tabs on Windows 10 guest for possible workaround.

The workaround is NOT recommended if you have only an Intel graphics adapter. The OpenGL implementation of Intel introduces other problems.

I am assuming you have a Windows host that makes Workstation 12.x use DX11. If the host was Linux, Workstation would already be using OpenGL with 3D acceleration enabled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have a look at this Re: Workstation Player 12: Chrome does not render tabs on Windows 10 guest for possible workaround.

The workaround is NOT recommended if you have only an Intel graphics adapter. The OpenGL implementation of Intel introduces other problems.

I am assuming you have a Windows host that makes Workstation 12.x use DX11. If the host was Linux, Workstation would already be using OpenGL with 3D acceleration enabled.

0 Kudos
dracman65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BlueFireStorm (cool tag by-the-way), you were dead on.

For anyone having the issue I was having, I added the following lines to the Windows 10 1703 .vmx file:

mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"

Everything seems to be working as it should now and I notice no performance degradation at all.

Thank you VERY much for the quick answer!

0 Kudos