VMware Communities
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 14.1.6 build-12368378 - debugging boot issues (mac)

So, silly me, I listened to the nag prompts for upgrading Workstation 14.  So, I did.  Xp, Windows 7, Windows 10 handled the upgrade fine.  But, the mac VM is in a perpetual reboot cycle.  Huh.

Note to VM engineering: you're logging too much crap.  3k lines of I'm sure very pertinent stuff, but why won;t my vm boot?  That's the issue.

Any one else dealt with this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, it is a violation of Apple's licensing to run their OS on non-Apple hardware, so we cannot help you here.  Also, in order to run an Apple VM you need to apply an illegal hack to VMware Workstation - so basically you are coming here admitting you have modified a vendor's product, then asking them for help with it!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

RDPetruska​ are we perm-banning these people who ask this? Or, at the very least, locking their threads?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Chip, we haven't in the past.  I only lock the thread if it starts to get heated - as neither we, nor VMware has any control over Apple's decisions, whether we agree with them or not.  I figure the public shaming of pointing out how ridiculous their request is, is usually enough to get the point across.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The Apple decision yes, understandable, but these questions also expose potentially illegal behavior in that "cracks" have to be employed to circumvent protections put in place to prohibit such activity. On those grounds, most other vendors in my experience (and on their own forums no less) would either permanently ban or, at the very least, lock the thread immediately.

0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jeeze, I'm getting this a lot - so apologies for violating all sorts of rules.

FWIW, I'm only a semi evil dude, I have a mini-Mac sitting on my desk next to my laptop with the VM.  I just found the VM more convenient than duct tapping the mini-mac to the back of the laptop...

No further comments necessary...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

and a lock (end of debate, as I agree we're getting off topic) Smiley Happy

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos