VMware Communities
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation 12 Pro - v12.1.1 build-3770994 File Permission Failure

This problem was presented last year (2015) in another thread. Also, after examining the blame for such an error, I find that it appears to be misplaced.

Specifically:

1. Created a partition (32GB) to be defined as a virtual device. The partition is defined with drive letter M:. The configuration followed the path to define the entire partition as a persistent object.
  2. It is defined as Basic:Data, Partition 2, on \\.\PhysicalDrive1

The partition has been updated to provide Admin authority (Full), including Ownership, for my Admin profile, Authenticated Users (Full), SYSTEM (Full), Administrator [Group] (Full), etc.

The .vdmk files (located outside of C: drive, in isolated folder defined specifically for VM Client usage) as owned by, accessible by my Admin profile.

Sharing is not setup for the partition.

Every attempt (after Workstation exit; Host reboot, Client shutdown/restart) results in the message of: "Insufficient permission to access file."

This done w/o listing of the file causing the issue.

This done although all actions are taken using my Admin Profile as log in.

Because no prior post appears to provide a modicum of direction towards the actual culprit responsible for this apparent flaw/bug, I am again posting this issue.

Is there some approach that provides a solution? All authorities required appears to be granted, and yet VM Workstation 12 Pro continues to fail with this error.

Thank you for your help.

Environment

Windows 10 x64 Pro (build 1511; all current updates applied)

32GB DDR3

20.5TB

AMD 8-Core

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using physical disks with Workstation on a Windows host is a pain if the host runs Windows 7 or later.
You configured a "partitionedDevice" (assigned only one partition) which further reduces your chances.
You also configured a driveletter for the partition - which finally makes it impossible.
To use a raw-disk inside a VM make sure:
- the disk needs to be configured as "offline" in diskmanagement of the host - ( as you can see this contradicts the idea of assigning a partition only)
- WS needs be launched by an admin-account using "run as admin"
- most of the times UAC has to be disabled
- never even consider to suspend or snapshot the VM
Generally speaking it nowadays makes no sense to create a 32gb partition for a guest.
Rather create a preallocated virtual disk for better performance - or use "fullDevice" if you really want to use rawdisks.
Honestly I nowadays only use rawdisks in emergencies - using rawdisks for VMs that you want to use everyday no longer makes sense on hosts later than 2k3.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using physical disks with Workstation on a Windows host is a pain if the host runs Windows 7 or later.
You configured a "partitionedDevice" (assigned only one partition) which further reduces your chances.
You also configured a driveletter for the partition - which finally makes it impossible.
To use a raw-disk inside a VM make sure:
- the disk needs to be configured as "offline" in diskmanagement of the host - ( as you can see this contradicts the idea of assigning a partition only)
- WS needs be launched by an admin-account using "run as admin"
- most of the times UAC has to be disabled
- never even consider to suspend or snapshot the VM
Generally speaking it nowadays makes no sense to create a 32gb partition for a guest.
Rather create a preallocated virtual disk for better performance - or use "fullDevice" if you really want to use rawdisks.
Honestly I nowadays only use rawdisks in emergencies - using rawdisks for VMs that you want to use everyday no longer makes sense on hosts later than 2k3.

0 Kudos
JML54
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Sir!

In my case, it was my intent to use it as a buffered exchange between my host and clients. The drive would be BitLocker encrypted and used only when very specific requirements were met.

Due to time constraints, I'll pursue the other option I've successfully used in the past (just wanted the convenience of a fixed drive) by doing this via a USB drive (it too BitLocker encrypted).

I did fear that something like this would be the issue.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

Jim

0 Kudos