VMware Communities
JimLittlefield
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 12.5.7 upgrade breaks shared folder in WinXP client

I've been running a WinXP guest OS on Win10 64 bit Host.    The guest is used to run an older development environment using Cypress pSocDesigner 5.4.    The compiler and pSocDesigner are stored on the Vm's C: but all the source/project files are stored on Z: which is mapped to a shared folder on the host.    pSocDesigner autogenerates a makefile when you do a project build an uses the project location as the root path for many of the source file references.

Previously this all worked great before.    After the 12.5.7 update I can no longer build projects and it appears that the auto-generated makefiles contain UNC names instead of references to the drive letter.  Previously a source file reference would be "Z:\Project\somefile.c"   but after the upgrade this reference becomes "\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Z\\Project\somefile.c" and the build fails claiming to not be able to find the file(s).      I can still browse the shared folder from within the guest OS so I know the share is actually working. 

Is there a configuration option to change this behavior?

I notice that the 12.5.7 Workstation docs don't list WinXP as a guest OS that supports shared folders!      Do I need to downgrade my Workstation version to an earlier one?

Thanks

J-

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimLittlefield
Contributor
Contributor

I believe the behavior was related to a partial vmware tools update in the guest OS.    The following steps solved the issue...

1. Do a Repair installation of the vmware tools in the WinXP guest VM
  2. Restart pSoc designer and clean the project(s) then regenerate the makefiles .....now they correctly reference the Z: again.

Thanks

Jim

0 Kudos