VMware Communities
GvMariani
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 12.5.2 Linux: starting failure with latest Mesa (17.0.1) and mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"

WKS Pro 12.5.2 for Linux on Rosa Fresh R8 2014.1 (a Mandriva derivative distribution) on x86_64: kernel 4.9.12, libdrm 2.4.75, mesa 17.0.1 and xorg 1.19.2.

Since a few days ago, when I updated my mesa from 13.0.4 to the latest 17.0.1, WKS does not start  a VM any more:

it pops up a little floating window saying "Unable to change virtual machine power state: Internal error".

By looking at the log file and comparing it with an older log from a successful VM start (both attached), I noticed that the bad log file stopped before starting the Shim3D ("Started Shim3D" line in the good log file),

so I tried to set mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers to "FALSE" in the .vmx file: indeed this setting made WKS working, albeit without video acceleration.

The weird thing is that I had run WKS with mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers to "TRUE" since  forever (because I have a Radeon video board and use it with the free mesa drivers), and never had a problem at all.

So some change between mesa 13.0.4 (the one I had installed before updating to the latest release) and mesa 17.0.1 broke WKS...

How can I find what is going wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
thro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am also having a similar problem, however I'm a Windows VMware Workstation user migrating back to Linux (last version i used in Linux was v1.0 or so, it's been a while).

I have an RX480, Ubuntu 16.04 and the amdgpu-pro driver and have a choice between either

- no video acceleration

- set the mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE" and have VMs crash on start.

Ubuntu is up to date with LTS as of yesterday (clean install including the base OS, etc. on the weekend).

What's the path forward from here?

I use/administer: vSphere 6.0 (ESXi) | Workstation 12.5 | Vmware Server 2.0 | Vmware Fusion 12.5 | Windows | FreeBSD | Redhat EL
0 Kudos