ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 11 invokes KVM keystrokes

Jump to solution

I recently started using Workstation 11.

I use a KVM that uses two Scroll Lock keystrokes in succession to move through the attached machines.

When in a VM, many activities seem to cause it to issue that keystroke sequence and I jump to another machine.  It is very frustrating.

I can see no way to alter/disable that on my KVM.  Is that any thing I can do within WS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
Leadership
Leadership

My best guess would be that your KVM switch is actually watching for changes to the Scroll Lock LED instead of watching for presses of the Scroll Lock key.  We update the Scroll Lock LED on the host to match the guest's state when you move into a VM.

Try disabling this behavior by powering off your VM(s) and closing Workstation (or at least closing the tabs for the VM(s)), then edit their .vmx file to add the following line:

mks.keyboard.setHostLEDs = "FALSE"

If that fixes the problem, you should investigate whether your KVM can be configured to watch keystrokes instead of watching the status LEDs...

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Allan,

Welcome at the community forum.

I've a KVM like that down here and really never have a VM send the key stroke.

To be fair I'm a bit confused how technically a VM is able to send your KVM this key stroke as -at least down here a keyboard and mouse hooks into the KVM and the KVM outputs that to hardware, eg.a few PCs and a Mac book pro.

The VMs then runs on the hardware.. and as a VM does not behave like a keyboard.. can you elaborate your setup?

Please also mention your guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have 2 physical machines, Both Win 7 Pro.  I use a TrendNet USB-KVM Switch to control both.  I can switch between the two machines, by either physically pressing a button on the KVM or using keystrokes.  Two Scroll Lock presses takes me to the other machine.

Machine 1 has VMware Workstation 11 installed.

I have a guest VM with Win 7 Pro, VMware tools installed.

Right now I can not even get on the guest machine, if I click on its background, my KVM sends me to machine 2.

I have another guest VM with Win 7 Pro, without VMware tools.  On that guest system, it seems to randomly throw me to machine 2.  Sometime if I open an Windows explorer, sometimes if I open the Control Panel. Once when the pointer hit the left edge of the screen.

0 Kudos
dariusd
Leadership
Leadership

My best guess would be that your KVM switch is actually watching for changes to the Scroll Lock LED instead of watching for presses of the Scroll Lock key.  We update the Scroll Lock LED on the host to match the guest's state when you move into a VM.

Try disabling this behavior by powering off your VM(s) and closing Workstation (or at least closing the tabs for the VM(s)), then edit their .vmx file to add the following line:

mks.keyboard.setHostLEDs = "FALSE"

If that fixes the problem, you should investigate whether your KVM can be configured to watch keystrokes instead of watching the status LEDs...

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That seems to have done the trick.  It's been about 45 minutes and I have been thrown to the other machine once.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ACeS07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have another issue with the mouser pointer jumping around.  Continue here or start a new thread?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Cleanest is to start a new thread as that will help other people who bump in the same issue being able to find your post.

But it is up to you, we will try to help anyways Smiley Happy

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos