VMware Communities
BenKell
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 11: Only Adapters Listed for Bridge is Bluetooth

Hey Guys -

I've got a system which I recently performed an OS-reinstall on and today installed VMWare Workstation 11 (Build 2305329.)  I imported a linux-based OVA and started it up.  The problem is that I couldn't get an IOP in the subnet I wanted so then remembered that it goes to NAT by default.  I selected Bridged then refreshed the IP, but didn't get one.  Finally, I opened the Virtual Network Editor and took a look.

My Issue

After granting Administrative privilages, I choose the Bridged network (the one created at install) then clicked on "Automatically" under "Bridged To:" so I could select a specific physical adapter.  When doing so, only "Automatic" and "Bluetooth Adapter (Personal Area Network)" were displayed - none of my actual NICs were. 

What I've Tried

I did some searching and found others which had the issue after a Windows 8.1 update but couldn't find a solution.  I also verified I was running the latest version after checking from within the app, itself.  I considered creating a loopback adapter then bridging it with a NIC to see if it appeared.  The loopback adapter did appear beside the Bluetooth adapter, but unfortunatly Windows didn't successfully bridge the two adapters.  Finally, I uninstalled one of my NICs from Device Manager, scanned hardware again to re-add it, then restarted.  Once it was added back, though, it still wasn't listed in the Virtual Network Editor.

What do I need to do to resolve this?  Below are some system specs:

System & Config Specs

- Intel i7 3770k / 16gb RAM

- Windows 8.1 Update 1 x64 Fully Patched

- "Network Connections" Listed in OS

- Bluetooth Network Connection (Bluetooth Device)

- Ethernet (Intel 82579V Gigabit NIC) - Set statically

- Ethernet 2 (Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E)

- VMWare Workstation 1 (Build 2305329) installed with all 4 options selected (Enhanced Keyboard, etc...) onto SSD alongside OS (C:\)

- VMs physically located on separate physical disk/partition

Any suggestions would be appreciated - Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
notjordan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  I have the same issue:

HP Zbook 15 G2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

32GB RAM

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

VMWare Workstation 11 (and same issue when reverted to 10)

Available bridge interfaces are the bluetooth and in my case a Check Point virtual network due to the VPN client installed.

Seems to be a similar issue in VMWare Player 6 - Automatic Bridging Settings not showing any device

Have done multiple uninstalls / reinstalls.

Any ideas?

James

0 Kudos
imel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to all,

i have the same issue and that is how i solved it.

===Observations====

Windows 8.1 Ent x64 (Fully Update)

VMware WS 11 (Build 2496824)

Bridge mode (only list Bluetooth PAN adapter)

===Resolution====

1. Going to device manager

2. Uninstall the real(s) interface(s) (have two real interfaces in my case)

3. Shutdown or reboot the computer

4. After rebooting, the real(s) interface(s) reappear and reinstall itself automatically

5. Open VMware WS and go to virtual network editor, bridge mode will list now all the interface, if not

a) Click on "Change settings"

b) Click on "Restore Defaults"

6. Real(s) Interface(s) should appear now

I reproduce the case twice and the solution work twice times

Nice virtualization...

0 Kudos