VMware Communities
V1rtu4lMe
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 11.1: Win7, CentOS6.6 clients freeze on CentOS6.6 host

Workstation 11.1: Win7, CentOS6.6 clients freeze on CentOS6.6 host

1. I boot the host to CentOS6.6, start VMWare WS 11.1, boot Win7x64 client.

2. In client I print simple "Hello World" from notepad to thinprinter. Paper comes out fine.

3. Client freezes badly. CPU load is near 100% all the time. Task manager does not show any single process using the CPU, system may take 40%.

4. I shutdown the client, shutting down with vmrun takes almost half an hour.

5. I take copy "after print" of client log files at this point.

6. After client shutdown I close client tab and VMWare WS.

7. I restart VMWare WS and boot again the Win7x64 client. Client boots extremely slowly. Boot takes half an hour.

Client CPU is near 100% after boot. Restarting VMWare WS did not cure the freeze.

8. I shutdown the client, shutting down with vmrun takes almost half an hour.

9. I take copy "after boot" of client log files at this point.

10. After client shutdown I close client tab and VMWare WS.

11. I reboot the host to CentOS6.6.

12. I start VMWare WS and boot the Win7X64 client. Client boots fine. Everything runs fine, CPU load is near 0% after boot as it should be.

13. Log files reveal that after print there is some kind of rpc error, following messages: GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox-dnd timed out.

This type of "after print" freeze has been repeatable so far. Printing from CentOS6.6 client also causes similar freeze.

I have faced similar freeze at least once without any printing. In that case there was a long compilation finished in Win7x64 client and after that it freezed badly.

I shutdown the Win7x64 client and booted a CentOS6.6 client. CentOS6.6 client boot was extremely slow. When it came up, it was similarly freezed as Win7x64 client.

Previous time I run this CentOS6.6 client, it was fine, not freezed at all.

In both cases there were same type of rpc error messages in the clients log files.

When I boot the host to Win7 and run these Win7x64 and CentOS6.6 clients on top of Win7 they run fine. No printing problem or any other type of freezes have occurred when running host on Win7.

On CentOS6.6 host I even tried to restore freezed Win7X64 client to time before freeze but it still booted extremely slow with high CPU load and was freezed.

So for me it seems that problem is in CentOS configuration or VMWare WS configuration running on it, not in clients.

Any ideas what it could be and what to do next?

Thank you for your help and support!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wjwj
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for reporting the issue. I tried it and could not reproduce this issue using Workstation 11.1 on CentOS 6.6 host. Can you please double check VMware Tools and upgrade it to the latest version?

0 Kudos