VMware Communities
RJRacey
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 11.1 - Upgrading VMware tools makes Shared Folders disappear!

This seems to be happening on various guest OS's after upgrading to Workstation 11.1.  If you update VMware tools in the guest, it seems you risk losing access to Shared Folders.  In fact, they disappear altogether as a network share.

The only workaround to get them back, which is stupid and dangerous in my opinion, is to completely uninstall / reinstall of VMware tools.  Removing all drivers in a guest OS invites grief, especially after reboot.  So if you uninstall VMware tools, DON'T REBOOT.  Simply proceed with installing VMware tools.  Then it's okay to reboot.

There is a serious bug in the current version of VMware tools accompanying Workstation 11.1.  Can't speak for 11.0; only know it's present in 11.1.  Until VMware fixes the bug, my advice is to postpone updating VMware tools in any existing guest OS  There doesn't seem to be any obvious issues having an older version of tools in a guest other than the little reminder tick on the notification icon.  :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RJRacey
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:  I think this quirk may be OS specific.  After updating VMtools, it initially broke Share Folders on a W2K guest, but not on a Xp guest.  Weird.

0 Kudos