VMware Communities
blueivy
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 11.1.0 Build 2496824 - Guest Mouse Issues

Just upgraded to the new build and I now have issues with the mouse within VM's.

Selecting something requires a double click. WHen trying to select items from a menu list there are issues - normally you would move your mouse down the list and the hlighted bar would move with the mouse pointer. It's now out of sync so the highlighted bar is way above or below where hte mouse pointer is - a bit like when you are remote controlling using VNC and the local  and remote mouse pointers are not synced.

I have checked both a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 VM - same issues on both.

I've checked the release ntoes and there is no mention of these issues.

This is making the VM's almost unusuable so it looks like I am going to go back to out of the box v11 if I can.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
dparker66
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem.  I attempt to click on an object and the mouse selects a separate object ~ 1 inch higher than where the mouse is located.  This was a problem yesterday.  It seemed that it was fixed.  But the problem came back today.  Upgraded to the latest release of Workstation 11.1 and followed my articles from the web and forums with any positive results. My host is Windows 8 64bit.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
dparker66
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed my issue for now.  Used Troubleshoot Compatibility and stated it was a display issue.  The recommended changes worked.

0 Kudos
jlnelson7613ntc
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issues. Please advise. Where is this Troubleshoot Compatibility that I would state an display issue? Or could you just what you did to resolve the issue?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
jlnelson7613ntc
Contributor
Contributor

I, also found a solution to the problem I was having with the mouse control.  My issue had to do with the fact that I had increased the text size of my desktop higher than 100%.

Reference:

VMware KB: Mouse pointer movement within a Workstation virtual machine does not match the mouse posi...

M~

0 Kudos
icthy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, can you please describe more what you did, or what "Troubleshoot Compatibility" is?    I have the same exact problem, but my text size is set to 100% in the display preferences.   I've turned off the setting for optimizing mouse movements for gaming, but that didn't affect anything.   Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Note my host is linux and my guest is Windows 7.

0 Kudos
dparker66
Contributor
Contributor

Locate the file: VMware.exe

Right Click: VMWare.exe

Select: Troubleshoot Compatibility

Select: Troubleshoot Program

Select: The program opens but does not display properly

Click: Next

Follow remaining steps and retest.

0 Kudos
icthy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I now understand why I was confused.   I wasn't thinking, and assumed vmware.exe was running in your guest, not the host.   I'm running a linux host and Windows 7 guest, so that solution is not available to me.   Running in unity mode works okay, as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
paaland
Contributor
Contributor

I too have mouse issues after upgrading to workstation 11.1 that I never experienced in 11.0.

My issue is that mouse clicks often stop to register in the guest OS. I have to move the mouse pointer to the top to let the vmware toolbar slide down and simply click it. Then mouse clicks start to register on the guest OS again. Seems like vmware workstation is sometimes loosing "focus" even when running in full-screen mode.

Both guest and host are Windows 8.1 Professional (x64).

Pål

0 Kudos