VMware Communities
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 10 with Freesco router

Hello,

I'm building a nested lab with Workstation 10, I have 3 ESXi hosts build and an iSCSI SAN (Openfiler) and now I want to add a router and I see some use Freesco.  I've downloaded it add 3 network cards, but when I boot it up it says it can't find the network cards.  If Googled this and can't find much and their sites not the best, any ideas or can you recommend another router?

Thanks

20 Replies
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gonzouk‌ - could you please share some more information on your networking setup, and possibly a graphic as well.  FreeSCO is pretty simple to setup and configure as I have used this in a nested lab as well, so maybe there is a simple solution to get your environment working.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

I just tried it here and do not seem to have a problem.

Try setting guest OS to Linux kernel 2.2

Personally I like pfSense better, but it has a slightly bigger foot print as freeSCO.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have my FreeSCO set as "Other 32-bit" and have no issues with it in my nested lab environment.  pfSense is definitely a better router with more functionality but depending on the use case, it might be a bit much.  For a simple lab setup, FreeSCO is perfect and extremely small footprint since it runs on a virtual floppy.  Mine runs perfect with only 64MB RAM.

2015-10-18_15-20-48.png

avadhootn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi lopezal1,

Saw your config of the freesco router. Would you be kind enough to convert it into a OVF and share it.

I am having problem initializing the third network interface.

I have downloaded a ovf image from this link

http://www.ntpro.nl/blog/archives/1757-Available-for-Download-FREESCO-Virtual-Router-on-OVF.html

It only has tow NIC i need a third one also.

Any help extend will be appreciated.

VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

avadhootn‌ - apologies for such a late reply, but here is my FreeSCO router exported to an .ova file.  I have removed all of the network interface cards and wiped the interface settings configured on the router.  Please be sure to add as many NICs as you need and then configure the interfaces from within "Setup".  In my nested environment, I have NIC 1 assigned to my LAN, and all the other NICs assigned to portgroups on a vSwitch with no uplinks.  In order to reach those networks from my LAN, I added a route statement or summary in my LAN router to point to the FreeSCO as the GW for those networks. 

All passwords are set to Welcome1

Let me know if you have any issues and I will do my best to assist!

suttonsa90
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for posting this OVA!

VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

suttonsa90​ you're very welcome!

0 Kudos
carlucas
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for sharing your knowledge here.

can you please share what you have added on your LAN router to point to the FreeSCO as the GW for those networks.

i am having issues on my setup

eth0 = 192.168.1.10 with gw 192.168.1.1 which is my LAN router IP that connects to the internet.

eth1 = 10.1.1.1

eth2 = 10.2.2.1

eth3 = 10.3.3.1

eth4 = 10.4.4.1

freesco is throwing IP address but guests vms doesn't have gateways and routes.

please help and thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

carlucas - you can add a route summary statement on your router that directs all traffic destined for those networks to the IP address of the freesco route which acts as the gw to those networks as follows.  Here is an example of adding it to a Windows IP Route table rather than a router.  But take the same logic and apply to your LAN router as a static route.

(route ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask  gateway_ip)

route add 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 192.168.1.10 -p

Note: -p makes the statement persistent

hope this helps!

0 Kudos
JesterJeff69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

lopezal1​ (I'm in NJ as well.. well I'm in the pineys!!!)

I know this is an old thread. hope you see this and can help.

I have brought in the ova and that seems good.

I added 2 NICs... both flexible (nothing else would work)

Upon booting it sees just one nic. It does not see the second. I tried adding more and it just sees the initial.

That NIC is also tied to my main network and not my vm network and grabs DHCP...

I am new at this and not sure what to look at...

appreciate any help.

freesco45.PNG

boot.PNG

google.PNG

hw.PNG

0 Kudos
JesterJeff69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fyi ive got fresco 4.3 from ova and it takes both network cards... thought id use this one instead... but maybe not

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JesterJeff69 - not sure why but you should be using E1000 adapters.  I haven't used this appliance for a while but almost positive that I've always set the NICs to E1000 or whatever the default was and never had issues with it not detecting the NIC.  Did you make sure that the additional NIC adapter was connected and set to connect at power on?

0 Kudos
oklarbi
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded and used this and it worked fine.

Thanks for sharing.

0 Kudos
billegrand
Contributor
Contributor

hi

the password welcome1 is not avaible.

0 Kudos
umuronald
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your support.Please got this error no network cards founds after installation and configuration. Pls any advice on what to do. Below is my ip information.

my Mgt IP range is 192.168.11.0 / 24

for storage 10.1.1.0 / 24

for Vmotion 10.2.2.0 / 24

For VM Net3 10.3.3.0 / 24

For VM Net4 10.4.4.0 / 24

0 Kudos
JesterJeff69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well...

I can no longer get the 0.4.3 ova file that i found elsewhere...

and the 0.4.5 wont import on esxi 6.7 u3b...

any one still around that uses this to assist?

appreciate it...

0 Kudos
UMAR7080
Contributor
Contributor

Hi having issue downloding from FreeSCO website 4.3 verssion. Please share if anybody has that. This 4.5 works on workstation but without network connection and also cant import in esxi 6.5 or 6.7. Please share fix if somebody has that. Thanks

0 Kudos
ChrisB32
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VIR2AL3X,

What is the username login ?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
juju1304
Contributor
Contributor

The Welcome1 password does not pass with the root login.
Can you help me please?

0 Kudos