VMware Communities
csaezl2
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 10: upgrading the guest operating system from XP to Win7

In a virtual machine, I need to update the guest operating system from XP to Win7, in an Windows 8.1/Workstation 10 environment, where the Windows 7 installation disk is an ISO file.

Following the user guide, I tuned the VM off and changed the new version to Windows 7. Because the ISO file, I also changed the CD/DVD settings to  "Use ISO image file", pointing it to my Windows 7 iso file.

Done all that I turned the VM on but unfortunately XP appeared as the actual guest operating system. No Windows 7 installation from the iso file.. Once XP loaded, I accessed the CD/DVD from within XP and run the iso file, so I realized it was properly connected. Unfortunatelly from within XP you can't install Windows 7.

What other parameters should I change to accomplish the upgrading from XP to Win7?

Thank you

Carlos

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

1. Make sure the CD is configured to connect at boot.

2. When the VM boots, you will need to click into it right away, and hit a function key to bring up the boot menu (can't remember if it's Esc or F10) to select boot from CD-ROM.

0 Kudos
csaezl2
Contributor
Contributor

Thnk you for the information.

You are right. I needed to boot from the CD/DVD unit and, after testing a lot of keys to stop the booting process, finally run the VM with the workstation option ""Power on to Bios BOOT". So W/ installer has run but I've read in a information window that is not possible to upgrade from XP to Win7.

I'd already had read that in some posts dated 2010 but seems that this restriction still applies.

Anyway, if someone knows a way to perform the upgrade I appreciate some guidance.

0 Kudos