VMware Communities
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 10 - how to assign static IP address to host-only VM

Hi All,

Is there a way in VMware Workstation 10 to assign static IP address to a VM whose network adapter is attached to a host-only vmnetwork?

Any help would be appreciated..

6 Replies
VMwareJohn123
Contributor
Contributor

It is possible. I've done it on Linux Centos). What is the guest OS?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Assigning Static IP Address to a Network Adapter is no different in a Virtual Machine then a Physical Machine so act accordingly and also look at DHCP Conventions for Assigning IP Addresses in Host-Only and NAT Networks in Using VMware Workstation (PDF) or topicDHCP Conventions for Assigning IP Addresses in Host-Only and NAT Networks (html).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, you can do this as you would do it on a physical system. Just edit the network settings within the guest OS. All you need to make sure is that you assign a valid IP address (192.168.x.2 ... 192.168.x.127) in the Host-Only range. The IP address 192.168.x.1 is reserved for the virtual host adapter and addresses above 192.168.x.128 are used by the integrated DHCP server.

André

pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What if I have a guest OS that has only one network adapter and that network adapter is connected to a vmnet in workstation whose DHCP is turned off (So, the guest didnt get any dynamic IP address and I cannot log into it)..

Is there a way to set a static IP address in this case by using some workstation's VM settings?

I also followed the steps given here: SinghG on SharePoint and more: VMWare Workstation - Assign a static IP address to configure the DHCP config file and proving the name of my guestVM but that didn't help either..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> So, the guest didnt get any dynamic IP address and I cannot log into it

Unless you can login to the console of that VM and change the settings, there's no way other than using the built in DHCP server to assign an IP address to this VM.

André

0 Kudos
rodiogo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos