VMware Communities
smjain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 10 fails to install

After the installation hung the first time (no progress for over an hour), I killed the task.

Rerunning the installer now causes the error:

"The MSI

':\users\%username%\appdata\local\temp\vmware_1378362614\vmwareworkstation_x64.msi' failed"
OS is Windows 8 Pro x64.  Previously had 9.0.2 installed without issue.

i7-3930k, 32GB RAM

What now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
smjain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A reboot was required. After that, the install proceeded quickly.  Seems that something was hanging around from the VMw Wks 9 install that was causing the install to fail.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
smjain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hyper-V is not installed.

0 Kudos
tejaaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@@SMJAIN,

I was able to install VMware workstation 10 on Windows 8.1 preview flawlessly. Installtion was smooth & I have usedVMware Workstation technology evalution key for VMware workstation 10. Please check below guide,

http://mytricks.in/2013/09/guide-how-to-install-vmware-workstation-10-on-windows-8-1.html

smjain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A reboot was required. After that, the install proceeded quickly.  Seems that something was hanging around from the VMw Wks 9 install that was causing the install to fail.

0 Kudos
scmp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I too have the problem on VmWare Workstation 10. I have Windows 7 x64....

The MSI

C:\Users\RENATA—1\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1378774860\vmwareworkstation_x64.msi failed.

Help me, please...
0 Kudos
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

v10 is a bit too fresh software, try to use v9.

It is like using win 8 instead of fully tested win 7, bugs http://www.bug.uk.com/favicon.icoare bound to happen with newer versions :smileysilly:

Yours,
Mar Vista

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

scmp wrote: Hi, I too have the problem on VmWare Workstation 10. I have Windows 7 x64....

The MSI C:\Users\RENATA—1\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1378774860\vmwareworkstation_x64.msi failed.

Do you have an Avast AntiVirus or Internet Security product installed?  If yes, this has been an issue in the recent past and the workaround was to temporarily uninstall Avast, install VMware Player/Workstation, reinstall Avast.  Disabling Avast in these cases was not enough! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
averri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear WoodyZ,

thank you very much for the information.

It solved the issue in my case too.

Regards,

Alexandre

0 Kudos