VMware Communities
vkhandpur
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 10 USB 3 strange behaviour

Good day. Just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has found a work around with Workstation 10.

First, hardware specs:

Gigabyte MB Q87M-D2H

16 GB RAM

Intel i7-4770

Vantec NexStar USB hard drive dock NST-D300S3

1) Running a Linux desktop (Ubuntu 13.10), I decided to give WS another shot as I read that it now supports USB 3 with Intel xHCI (as opposed to NEC only). Worked like a champ.

2) Not a huge fan of Linux as a desktop (please no comments: Windows vs Mac vs Linux ... not the point), decided to migrate the workstation to Window 8.1 x64. We all know how much fun that is, and how long it takes

3) The weirdness: got the new OS loaded, patched, set up a clean Restore Point, etc. Finally get around to installing WS 10 (10.0.1). Built a new Linux server guest [running a samba server virtually .. again no comments about the benefits vs. drawbacks of a virtualized server for home file serving, not the point]. BUT when I went to Removable Devices to add the external USB 3 hard drive, it didn't show up in the list. Device Manager and Disk Management both showed the device connected correctly. Incidentally, drive was formatted to ext4, thus couldn't mount it directly to Windows although using Ext2read to access files worked just fine.

4) Thus wiped the entire Windows install and installed Linux Mint 16 x64. Again the joys and amount of time of an OS install. This time, however after installing WS for Linux, USB 3 shows up no problem. 135MB/s sustained transfer speeds to an Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS samba server guest.

Thus USB 3 functionality in WS 10 works fine in Linux, but not so much in Windows, or did I miss something?

Thoughts, comments or recommendations appreciated.

Cheers,

vk

0 Kudos
0 Replies