VMware Communities
Thunderdome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workstation 10 Bridged Mode not working

Hi Community

I just started to use VMware Workstation 10 on SUSE Linux 11. For the VM inside the workstation I use network bridged mode, because I want this VM directly accessible from other VMs in the network. As far as I understand the documentation, this is the right way to do it, but somehow it is not possible to reach this VM from the network and also the VM can´t reach other the VMs in the network.

1. Is it correct to use bridged-mode?

2. Why it is not working?

Network.png

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Thunderdome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for your advise and at the end it is working now with this KB article VMware KB: Using Virtual Ethernet Adapters in Promiscuous Mode on a Linux Host

I can reach the VM inside the workstation with ping and connect with ssh inside the same network segment.

Only thing need to be done is a chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet0

Regards

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Thunderdome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no Ideas?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, bridged mode should do what you need.

You might need to provide a bit more information about the hosts and networks involved here.  I can't tell if you are doing all of this on one host or if nested virtual machines are involved, or if your "VM" boxes mean "virtual machines running on separate hosts", etc...

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Thunderdome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

dariusd wrote:

Yes, bridged mode should do what you need.

You might need to provide a bit more information about the hosts and networks involved here.  I can't tell if you are doing all of this on one host or if nested virtual machines are involved, or if your "VM" boxes mean "virtual machines running on separate hosts", etc...

--

Darius

Hi Darius

The environment is a vCloud Director 5.5 and all VMs are running in this environment, if they are on the same host I don´t know as i am Organizational Administrator and not able to see it. Definetly everything is running in one vDC.

On one Linux VM we installed a VMware Worstation 10.0.3 todo some special testing with a RAM Disk. The network is attached to our normal company development network, how it is configured in detail with vLANs etc. I also do not know, but all VMs (except the one which is running in the Workstation) are reachable.

For me it is important to know if there are known issues in the Linux Workstation or if there some network limitations.

If you need some more information, come back to me please.

Thank you

Michael

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the way I am understanding your setup, the Workstation VM is a nested guest.

If that's the case then AFAIK the network adapters on your Workstation VM need to be able to work in promiscuous mode for the nested VM to get direct access to the host network. I'm not familiar with vCloud Director, but on vSphere the default settings on the virtual switch restrict this type of access.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

As Wil suggests, you'll need to see about enabling promiscuous mode for 192.168.0.4.  For details on promiscuous mode and its security implications, see: VMware KB: How promiscuous mode works at the virtual switch and portgroup levels

Without promiscuous mode, the ESXi server will refuse to forward frames destined to 192.168.0.5 (sent to the MAC address for 192.168.0.5) to the virtual Ethernet device on 192.168.0.4, leading to the loss of connectivity that you are encountering.

Cheers,

--

Darius

TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Frist of all you have use 4 different IP network t o your VM. In bridge mode you have to use same IP block range otherwise you have to route all IP network. Otherwise you can't access all IP address. Use same network IP address that might be solve ..

0 Kudos
Thunderdome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for your advise and at the end it is working now with this KB article VMware KB: Using Virtual Ethernet Adapters in Promiscuous Mode on a Linux Host

I can reach the VM inside the workstation with ping and connect with ssh inside the same network segment.

Only thing need to be done is a chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet0

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos