VMware Communities
mocca666
Contributor
Contributor

WorkStation won't install x64. Why?

I downloaded the Workstation 7 and installed it but for some reason all the apps in TaskManager are still shown as 32bit.

I don't get it. I wasn't asked during installation whether I wanted to install 32bit or 64bit. Is that normal?

How do I get the Workstation to run in full 64bit mode?

P.S.: I was really dissapointed to see that installation to a folder outside the "programs" folder does not work! I tried to install to "C:\Utilities\VMWare" and it failed everytime! Worked immediately when I used the default folder (programs (86x))

0 Kudos
9 Replies
maflynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's your host OS and is it 64it?

0 Kudos
mocca666
Contributor
Contributor

duh, stupid me!

Windows 7 Professional x64 so yes, 64bit Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I downloaded the Workstation 7 and installed it but for some reason all the apps in TaskManager are still shown as 32bit.

Exactly which processes did you look at? The UI process (vmware.exe) is always 32-bit. When you power-on a VM, however, the VM runs in a separate process (vmware-vmx.exe), and that one will be 64-bit on 64-bit hosts.

0 Kudos
mocca666
Contributor
Contributor

yes, that's the only one that's actually 64bit.

i am suprised that

vmnat.exe

wmnetdhcp.exe

vmwareauthd.exe

vmwaretry.exe

vmusbarbitrator.exe

are all only 32bit. I would have thought a 64bit version would be real 64 bit and the programs running in the background the whole time would be optimized as well.

maybe that would cure the relatively long wait between double-clicking the try icon and the actual workstation opening. that takes up to 10sec which i find a far too long time just to open the workstation with no running vm.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

are all only 32bit. I would have thought a 64bit version would be real 64 bit and the programs running in the background the whole time would be optimized as well.

maybe that would cure the relatively long wait between double-clicking the try icon and the actual workstation opening. that takes up to 10sec which i find a far too long time just to open the workstation with no running vm.

That has nothing to do with the fact that those programs are 32-bit.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> maybe that would cure the relatively long wait between double-clicking

the try icon and the actual workstation opening. that takes up to 10sec

check proxy settings and automatic uipdate settings first

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We only distribute certain processes as 64-bit because it is important for them to have it. vmware-vmx.exe is important to have 64-bit but we don't lose much efficiency if we have the others as 32-bit. The reason why it takes a while for the tray app to respond the first time you click it is not due to it being 32-bit; it is because we lazy-load our dependencies to keep the base footprint as small as possible.

mocca666
Contributor
Contributor

alright, thank all of you for clearing this up for me Smiley Happy

and a special thank you for the "automatic update" tip. that was in fact the problem. now, even after a host reboot the workstation is opened within 1-2sec, i.e. right away!

seems the automatic update check is the evil doer. maybe it would be better if that were optimized to not run until the workstation is actually open so the user is not slowed down so much.

again, thank all of you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I always disable automatic updates because I want to update when I think it is the right time not when any software recommends it

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos