VMware Communities
j_mosk
Contributor
Contributor

Work8: How to get stuff *INTO* guests (since no drag and drop)

So, all my Shared guest machines are using NIC #4... so, none are bridged or have internet access.

Great.

So, how do you get stuff in / out of them for testing?

Imagine you had a new .MSI to test for your testers.. so you shared out a guest machine.

How is Mr. Tester going to get that *INTO* the test machine?

He can't drag and drop. He can't use networking.

The only thing I can think of is ISO files, and that's... well, not great.

Anyone else *USING* the shared guest feature yet?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--Any progress on this?  I should think the shared guest should have at least Bridged access.  You might need to setup Network #4 in the Virtual Network editor...

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if I need to get data into a VM without the use of a network I quickly write the files into an iso and assign that to the guests

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The OP already said: "The only thing I can think of is ISO files, and that's... well, not great."

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

The other option is VIX.

VM_CopyFileFromHostToGuest is supported on WS8

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vix-api/vix111_reference/lang/c/functions/VixVM_CopyFileFrom...

I have only just upgraded to WS8 yesterday so I haven't had enough time to look in to it.  It would be good if someone could make a nice friendly GUI VIX browser for copying files to guests.  I might give it a go, but I am not a good programmer. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MarekZdrojewski

Hi,

You can indeed use the “Shared Folders” feature. This will map a folder on the host as a network drive. Alternatively, in Workstation 8 you can  map virtual disk as a drive on your computer. This option is accessible from the “Utilities” drop down menu when you select the virtual Hard Disk in the VM Settings (VM needs to be powered off). Another option is to mount the vmdk file as a second hard disk on an another VM.

- hth

Cheers!

| Blog: https://defaultreasoning.com | Twitter: @MarekDotZ |
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

"shared folders" are not available for shared VMs

0 Kudos
j_mosk
Contributor
Contributor

In short, I decided to just bite the bullet, and expose all my machines to BRIDGE MODE, giving them all real IP addresses and opening ports in the firewall.

TOTALLY UNHAPPY WITH THIS.

My machines -should not- have to see the Internet in order for a DEV to test the latest code. It's downright silly and makes SHARED COMPUTERS mode practically .... just practically unusuable.

Also, my DEVs are telling me that the performance using VMware Workstation 8 across the network is not good. (I have no way to verify this.)

So, inside each BRIDGED guest, I have turned on RDP (all windows guests), and then each one is individually "touch-able" using RDP.

So, that's my "solution" so far.

In other news: Two other "bugs" / problems with SHARED COMPUTERS mode:

1. You cannot change the NETWORK MODE from, say, VMNET4 to BRIDGED without --UNSHARING-- first. Then you can RE-SHARE IT. So, I've created two snapshots PER GUEST.. one when in VMNET4 mode and another in BRIDGED mode. This has to be a bug.

2. You cannot right-click over the CD-ROM icon and click DISCONNECT. or CONNECT. You --MUST-- right-click over the whole VM GUEST tab, click SETTINGS / CD-DVD and click CONNECTED. or UN-check CONNECTED. Again.. this has to be another bug.

These two functions can NOT be the way it was intended to work.

In short, my "review" of SHARED COMPUTER MODE is.. "Awesome Idea.. it's 80% works. The lack of drag-and-drop and these two missteps really make the function unusuable as designed though."

If they added drag and drop, and fixed these two other bugs, we'd be jumping for joy over the feature.

-Jeremy Moskowitz, Group Policy MVP

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what keeps you from setting the connectiontype yourself via the vmx-file ?

0 Kudos
j_mosk
Contributor
Contributor

Because my DEVs dont have access to that file, nor should they need VMware expertise to use the feature as designed.

They should able (with VMuser rights) to flip the network card to whatever setting they see fit using the GUI.

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--First of all:

http://images.google.com/search?q=caps%20lock%20cruise%20control&biw=1440&bih=737&tbm=isch

[[

My machines -should not- have to see the Internet in order for a DEV  to test the latest code. It's downright silly and makes SHARED COMPUTERS  mode practically .... just practically unusuable.

Also,  my DEVs are telling me that the performance using VMware Workstation 8  across the network is not good. (I have no way to verify this.)

]]

--Sure you do.  Open up ' TASKMGR ' and go to the Network tab.  Set some options for monitoring I/O.

--You don't provide *any* information about your host/network setup.  If you have multiple guests remoting into a shared environment, you should at least have multiple CPU cores, and hopefully a Gigabit Ethernet (along with a Gig Switch and cables), and preferably be working over a LAN.  Over 100Mbit Ethernet, total network performance is limited to under 13MB/sec for *everything* coming into the Vmware environment at once.  What host OS are you using? Guest OS?  What are the resources allocated to Host and Guest as far as RAM/CPU/Disk? Are you using 2GB-split .VMDK files?  Is there -anything else- running on the Host besides Vmware?

--Shared VMs is a new feature - they got rid of Teams and they're finally trying to dump Server.  Give it a little time to mature; it will probably be better in WS 8.1.  We're basically trying to help you for Free here - please provide more info.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

[[

My machines -should not- have to see the Internet in order for a DEV  to test the latest code.

]]

--BTW, they don't have to - you should be able to put them on a private network while still in Bridged mode.  I would recommend a 172.16.x.x - as long as all of your Devs can see stuff on that net, it doesn't have to go outside your router/firewall.  You also didn't mention if your Devs are inside the same building as you. 😉

0 Kudos
j_mosk
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, I find the little "dig" at my caps lock use a little insulting and unnecessary / not germane to the topic. I was using it as a keyword highlight, and didn't live with the caps lock on. Sheesh. 1993 called, and they want their dumb flame-wars insult back. 🙂

Next, I am *NOT* beating up on the feature. I -GET- that they are trying to kill Server, and I'm super greatful for that. I totally see where they're going.

In fact, I asked Diane Greene (back in the day) if they would ever consider making Workstation "act" more like server and allow remoting in.. her answer to me was "We will never, ever do that."

Well, "Never" has finally arrived.

So, "Yay! I love the idea." But "Oops.. there's three things that make this almost not working for my situation in it's current form."

That's showbiz, and I'm quite understanding of that.

In short, this new feature is "almost great" but has "missed the mark" in some areas that need to be shored up. As a software developer Program Manager myself, I completly understand how this has occured, and hope that, yes, in 8.1 ... these items are addressed. Some could just be bugs, others, require some more actual development.

That is all.

Lastly, on the helpful points:

1. DEVs are outside my firewall, so I don't think the proposed solution can help me.

2. One DEV has reported "reasonable performance" with the the remote Shared Computers (using the shared port). The other Dev (same general location) claims that only RDP directly into the Guest is acceptable.

As a point of curiosity.. anyone know what display protocol is being used over the Shared port?

0 Kudos