VMware Communities
JimmyW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wondows 8

Is it possible to install the Win 8 64-bit Developers Preview in VMWare 7.1.4?  I'd be happy to post or send log files and the like, but maybe there's a short answer that will save everyone some time.  When I try to install from the ISO, I received the following message:

*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***
vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903
Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=F%3a%5cVIRTUAL%20MACHINES%5cWin8%5cvmware%2elog&coreLocation=F%3...". Please provide us with the log file (F:\VIRTUAL MACHINES\Win8\vmware.log) and the core file(s) (F:\VIRTUAL MACHINES\Win8\vmware-core.gz, F:\VIRTUAL MACHINES\Win8\vmware64-core.gz, F:\VIRTUAL MACHINES\Win8\vmware-vmx-2176.dmp).
If the problem is repeatable, please select 'Run with debugging information' in the Options panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.
To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
We appreciate your feedback,
  -- the VMware Workstation team.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jtech201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not aware of any workarounds.

Read: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1826606

You could try VMware Workstation 8 30-day trial to test Win8. Notice that VMware Workstation 8 will uninstall Workstation 7.

Read page 16, chapter "Installing Workstation with Other VMware Products":

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws80-getting-started.pdf

VirtualBox 4.1.2 can also run Windows 8.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jtech201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not aware of any workarounds.

Read: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1826606

You could try VMware Workstation 8 30-day trial to test Win8. Notice that VMware Workstation 8 will uninstall Workstation 7.

Read page 16, chapter "Installing Workstation with Other VMware Products":

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws80-getting-started.pdf

VirtualBox 4.1.2 can also run Windows 8.

0 Kudos
musicmaniac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My opinion...

First the note to administrators of this forum: After this you can bann me off or you can go up a level so that the "people in charge" can see it and think about it.

I've downloaded and installed Workstation-8 on my system in hope of seeing Windows-8 64-bit running "smooth" not like in VirtualBox "not so smooth".

Since VmWare is under a reputation of beeing "super-cool" I started my quest... and after 4 days ended it being angry as hell.

People at VmWare -

1. You are CHARGING for your software "big" sum of money so the users could use it.

2. You software DOES NOT WORK as, for exc. VIRTUALBOX does.

3. VirtualBox is FREE

My installation with VirtualBox went unbelievably smooth (IN LESS THAN 1 HOUR), with VmWare I was installing 4 DAYS without sucess.

Now... Are You collecting "users experience" to make it WORK... so you could "invent" an update which will make all the users happy?

I'm not the "fan" of VirtualBox, I just see the things the way they are...

0 Kudos
JimmyW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Jtech. I simply upgraded my VMWare 7 to 8, and everything is fine.  One thing to remember is to elect to not install the OS automatically.  You'll get a file access error if you do.  Instead, use the ISO as the optical drive and choose to install the OS later.  Oh, and sorry for the typo in the subject!

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Musicmaniac, Windows 8 isn't even a beta yet.  VMware hasn't had enough time to test and fix any compatibility issues with WS yet.  If virtual box works better, use that.  Unless you are a developer there is only so much you can really play around with in the preview.

Your expectations that WS will just work with Windows 8 is simply insane.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows 8 runs smooth in a VM - only thing to keep in mind is "dont install the VMware svga driver"

0 Kudos
JimmyW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, Ulli.  Hope you are well.  After installing Win 8 in VMware 8, I installed the default tools and everything is fine.  VMware SVGA 3D. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Jimmy
yep - everything is fine

for me installing the svga driver rendered the VM unusable

Ulli

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I had the same experience Ulli - instgalling the SVA Driver from VMwaer Tools led to a "black screen of death".  If you have a working Windows 8 VM I'd suggest making a snapshot before you try to install the complete Tools drlivers.

Marty

0 Kudos
JimmyW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A snapshot certainly could not hurt.  FWIW, I should mention that my host is Win 7 64, SP-1, and I built a Win 8 64 guest.  

0 Kudos
Florida9797
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos