VMware Communities
nashlowe
Contributor
Contributor

Woah is me! I'm a novice who keeps getting a black screen when trying to install Windows Server VM

Hi everyone! I'm a novice user and a university student. I've installed and set up virtual machines about a dozen times using VMWare Pro Desktop 17 with no issues. There's been no changes to my computer hardware host yet today I needed to access these servers and all I could get was a black screen. I tried installing a new server (using a couple of different ISO files from my instructor) to no avail. All I see is a black screen. I've rebooted the host computer, restarted VMWare and cannot get the server VM to launch.

I have zero issues creating and/or launching a WIn10/11 virtual machine. I am at a loss on troubleshooting this and would appreciate any guidance. I can upload screenshots of anything that is needed. Thank you all oh and I go by Nash.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the VM's were working and then all failed, and you are running on a Windows host, one might suspect a MS update to the host. You might look at the update history for similar dates. I would also scan the VMware log to see if there is something there pointing to a problem.

Another thought is hypervisor conflicts, many posts here about that. Personally, I run all VM's on a Linux host with accelerated 3D off and have few problems. 

0 Kudos