VMware Communities
jibunnokage
Contributor
Contributor

With high resolution in Linux (debian 11) VM, VERY SLOW start up?

Ok, I have been using VMware since before it was even a product, was able to evaluate and test original ESX in 2001 under an NDA at the time.  I say this, because I have never seen such odd behavior.  This is apparently with v17, which I just installed, updating from 16.2.  If I set the resolution above 1280x1024x32, the VM boot sequence post BIOS, the actual Linux startup, in a Linux instance with no UI.  The boot is so slow it painful to watch.  The actual update of scrolling in the VM goes from several lines per second, to one line about every two seconds, and finally stalls completely.  The hardware has not changed at all since 16.2.  It hardware OS is Windows 11, that appear to be functional in all respects.  The VM has been given resources beyond need, 4GB 2 processors, in the latest test, from a 6 core/12 thread, 16GM desktop.  Monitor maximum resolution for VM is set to 1 monitor 2160x1600, but expect that 1920x1080 would be max, but at 1920x1080, the VM slows down so bad, it is useless.  Clearly there is something under the hood that has changed.  This configuration with 1920x1080 screamed on 16.2 near hardware speed less typical VMX process overhead.  So the where to start to track this down?  Have limited time to figure this out, there is real pressure to roll back to 16.2.  Appears the old adage is true, never use a .0 product, this is said in jest, but something clearly is not legit.  Hope that someone can point out something specific to v17 that is breaking the performance, that changed from 16.2 if possible.

The one clue, is that the Linux kernel keeps lowering the kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate again and again, which implies the VM is being choked, this did NOT happen on v16.2, only now with v17.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jibunnokage
Contributor
Contributor

Doing more testing, the VMs created with v17, now refuse to see any USB devices, all the menu options are greyed out.  I have to say the more I use v17, the worse things get.  This is very disappointing, VMware seems to have some real issues with VMware Workstation/Player with v17.

0 Kudos
vcsamyiu
Contributor
Contributor

I have same issue with RHEL 8 16.2 was fine i upgraded as i has some issues with windows 11. I also upgraded the image and then downgraded again

0 Kudos