VMware Communities
Tzhu14
Contributor
Contributor

Windows x64 Guest Systems in VMware Workstation 16 & 17 Have Poor Graphics Performance

I'm using VMware Workstation Pro 17 now, which is updated from 16 several days ago. My host system is Windows 11 22H2. The problem I meet is that when I install a Windows x64 system (including Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10) in an virtual machine, the graphics performance in it is very bad, no matter if I turn on the visual effect like Aero. For example, when draging a window on the screen, it dosen't move smoothly. For comparison, if I install a Windows x32 system while keeping other settings all the same, the graphics performance becomes far more better.

The following is my hardware in my host machine:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H (8 cores);
GPU: NVIDIA Gefore 3060 & AMD Raedon Graphics integrated with CPU;
RAM: 16GB;
Harddisk: an SSD (and I think it have a good performance).

and my settings of my virtual machines:
4 CPU Cores;
4GB RAM;
2GB Graphics memory, Selected "3D Acceleration".

During the running of a single virtual machine, the CPU usage of the host and in the virtual machine is no more than 15% and 40%. I also notice that the processes of VMWare Workstation is 32 bit in the host machine, I wonder if it is one of the cause.

I'm sure that the VMWare Tools in my virtual machines are the latest except for Windows Vista, because the latest version that support it is 11.0.6. I tried multiple method that found in the Community like turning down the amount of the CPU Cores of the virtual machines, changing process priority of VMWare Workstation and virtual machines to "high", making the amount of the memory and graphics memory higher or lower, and so on. I also turned off the side channel mitigations.

Is there anyone that has met the same problem like me? I have read many posts in the Community about graphics performance problems, but non of them solve my problem.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tzhu14
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone met the same problem? I just can't figure out any solution to it.

0 Kudos
Idlike
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using WinVista, that's the problem. Don't have security software active, like anti-virus, only when running suspicious files and always scan any file you download or insert to your storage devices.

Make maintenance to your PC, I'll give you pointers, if this doesn't solve it, call a PC Tech:

1) On cmd.exe as Admin run this on all your drives: chkdsk C: /f /x

2) Run this on a cmd Admin console to clean up and make sure Windows it's OK:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

3) Use CCleaner

4) Right click on your task manager and go to the Tab: Startup, disable any software you don't need

5) Put this on a .bat file and execute as Admin:

@Echo off
echo Clearing...
FOR /F "tokens=1,2*" %%V IN ('bcdedit') DO SET adminTest=%%V
IF (%adminTest%)==(Access) goto noAdmin
for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")>null
echo.
echo All Event Logs have been cleared!
goto theEnd

:do_clear
echo clearing %1
wevtutil.exe cl %1
goto :eof

:noAdmin
echo Current user permissions to execute this .BAT file are inadequate.
echo This .BAT file must be run with administrative privileges.
echo Exit now, right click on this .BAT file, and select "Run as administrator".
pause

:theEnd
pause
Exit

6) Install the latest Visual C++ Redistributables: to make sure, uninstall all your VS redistributables and download them all in this installer, date Feb 2023, https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/ then run the install_all.bat as Admin.

Best of lucks

0 Kudos