VMware Communities
senbon
Contributor
Contributor

Windows server 2003 RDP

Hi all,

I have installed windows server 2003 on a virtual machine in workstation 7 (VM workstation).

I am trying to RDP to the machine, I get into the RDP console but cannot RDP into the VM, the following message comes : the system could not log you on make sure your username and domain are correct then type your password again. letters in passwords must be  typed using the correct case.

Network settings:

Host IP address: 192.168.1.156

VM IP address: 192.168.1.147

Network adaptor settings are: Bridged.

Any advice will be really helpful.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This behavior occurs because the user name and password that you previously used are available for logon only to a domain. Your computer is no longer a member of a domain. Therefore, your logon attempt must be validated on the local computer by using the local security database. To log on to the computer, you must provide a user name and password that exists in the local computer's user database, or Security Accounts Manager (SAM).

Check this article for more information.

You cannot log on after you remove the computer from the domain

Please consider awarding points if you found it helpful/correct.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
senbon
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

thanks for your reply.

i cant rdp into the virtual machine, it never has worked. It is knot part of a domain, when I login in via workstation it works perfectly, so not sure if this is to do with the computer not being in a domain? So I will need to they the computers domain?

thanks.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. try logging in with <Server'smachine name>\administrator in the name field. (Enter the administrator's password)

2. If that doesn't work, open System Properties, the Remote tab and make sure Remote Desktop is enabled. Then go to Select Remote Users and add the administrator account and any others you want to use. I have had cases where I had to add the administrator, doesn't make sense but.....

Lou

0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Is there any solution for this.

I am having the same problem since long time.

" Find a place inside where there's joy .
0 Kudos
senbon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried it this morning, but does not work.

The VM is not part of my domain, that I am trying to connect from, could this be the issue? even if it goes into the RDP session and recognises the VM's name/IP address?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On your Windows 2003 machine , try simply to create a new user (senbon for example) with administrative privileges and add him to the remote desktop users group.

Check also the group policy if it is enabled to allow remote desktop connections to this machine and that the terminal licenses for this server are working fine.

When you try to login in RDP , use the following :

username : 192.168.1.147\senbon

password : ***** (the one that you set)

0 Kudos
senbon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scorpion,

Thanks for your reply, still no luck,

I know that the RDP option is enabled to allow remote users to connect and also that my user is in the group, but still no luck.

Could this be because the vm is not in the same domain as my computer i am trying to reach it from?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Are you using form domain\user while trying to login?

Use Workgroup\user form, if your Windows 2003 is not a member of domain.

Hope will help.

0 Kudos