VMware Communities
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows not Tabs

I have just purchased a large 4K monitor and I am revelling in all the screen real estate that I now have to play with. However a minor irritant is now becoming a much larger issue. Is there any way of having multiple Guest screens rather than the irritating tabbed display of Workstation? I know I can do this by altering the default 'open-with' to VMWare Player, but I'd prefer to be able to use Workstation.

I now realise I phrased my question badly. It is my habit to launch guests from shortcuts, that implicitly use the 'run-as' tag. I know that I can launch individual instances of workstation and load individual guest vms into each, but this is more time consuming - the ideal would be to be able to use Guest Windows instead of Guest tags in VMWare Workstation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello EdP‌,

If I'm not mistaken then it appears this is one of the features in the new Workstation Tech Preview, it's called "Tear Away Tabs"

See also: What’s New in Workstation Technology Preview 2015 | VMware Communities

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello EdP‌,

If I'm not mistaken then it appears this is one of the features in the new Workstation Tech Preview, it's called "Tear Away Tabs"

See also: What’s New in Workstation Technology Preview 2015 | VMware Communities

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you I obviously missed any announcement of the preview. Is it a public beta, or just by invitation?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi EdP,

Mentioning that if it was a private Preview would be a bit cruel wouldn't you say?

It's the public beta, I'm not sure if the private preview still exists for people outside of VMware.

Full details are here:

VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2015

--

Wil

0 Kudos