VMware Communities
xseven7836
Contributor
Contributor

Windows desktop graphics poor performance

Hi all,

i have Windows 7 x64 installed on VMWare Workstation 12 on Win10x64 computer. I have nvidia gtx960 and amd fx-8320 cpu (using 2 cores, 4 threads for vmware... 4gb of ram and 2gb video ram for vmware). I also installed VMware SVGA 3D (vmtools). Everything working fine, including any new 3D graphics games, the performance is greater than i expected. I have only problem with windows desktop graphics performance, which is very poor, for example apps, browsers, youtube videos, etc... Videos on youtube are not smooth, it doesnt matter what quality (240/1080), like 10fps or so. Cpu is  loaded on 5-13 percent at 720p video. Score in Windows experience rating is 7.9 for gaming graphics, but only 1.0 for graphics - windows desktop/aero. Is it possible to speed up windows graphics (not 3D one, which is working great) ? Thank you for any answer.

2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try dropping to 2 cores (no threads) and see if that helps.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
xseven7836
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the answer, just solved the problem few minutes ago. Found few articles here on forum - I disabled windows aero, changed Windows 7 theme to Windows 7 basic and disabled ClearType font (i think that was the problem with ClearType Fonts under vmware). My score on desktop graphics is 7.9 now and performance is great. Videos on youtube are smooth now. I am going experiment with cores (threads) you adviced to see any changes Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos